Payment without Credit or Debit Card

Spiller
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I made this account because one of my friends would send me a couple of dollars. I was wondering a couple things. If it wouldn't be trouble, could you answer them? 

1: Would I be able to recieve money without a credit or debit card?

2: Would I be able to make online payments, like order a [somethiing] online without a credit or debit card?

3: And finally, would I be able to give the money back?

Thanks in advance, 

Spiller

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What you need to consider is account verification.  If you are not able to "verifiy" your account, you won't get much use out of your PayPal Account.  PayPal will allow an unverified account to do a few transactions however, after that, there's a good chance you won't be able to pay or receive funds.

Financial institutions such as banks, credit card issues and 3rd party transaction processors such as PayPal are required by law to verify the identity of the person behind any and all Accounts into which money is collected.  This stems from the USA Patriot Act, Title III, Anti-money laundering to prevent terrorism where as institutions put into place reasonable steps to identify beneficial owners of bank accounts and those who are authorized to use or route funds through payable-through accounts.

PayPal takes advantage of the fact that you had to prove to the bank you are who you say you are.  Therefore, by linking and confirming your bank account, the background work has already been done and PayPal has now met the legal requirements to protect themselves.

PayPal's FAQs state: To Verify your PayPal account, just link your bank account to your PayPal account or be approved for PayPal Smart Connect or the PayPal Plus MasterCard®. (Note, the PayPal Plus MasterCard was introduced in 2001.  In 2011 the name was changed to the PayPal Extras MasterCard.)

Having a credit card linked and confirmed provides additional proof of ID and serves as a backup funding source however, doing so is optional.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What you need to consider is account verification.  If you are not able to "verifiy" your account, you won't get much use out of your PayPal Account.  PayPal will allow an unverified account to do a few transactions however, after that, there's a good chance you won't be able to pay or receive funds.

Financial institutions such as banks, credit card issues and 3rd party transaction processors such as PayPal are required by law to verify the identity of the person behind any and all Accounts into which money is collected.  This stems from the USA Patriot Act, Title III, Anti-money laundering to prevent terrorism where as institutions put into place reasonable steps to identify beneficial owners of bank accounts and those who are authorized to use or route funds through payable-through accounts.

PayPal takes advantage of the fact that you had to prove to the bank you are who you say you are.  Therefore, by linking and confirming your bank account, the background work has already been done and PayPal has now met the legal requirements to protect themselves.

PayPal's FAQs state: To Verify your PayPal account, just link your bank account to your PayPal account or be approved for PayPal Smart Connect or the PayPal Plus MasterCard®. (Note, the PayPal Plus MasterCard was introduced in 2001.  In 2011 the name was changed to the PayPal Extras MasterCard.)

Having a credit card linked and confirmed provides additional proof of ID and serves as a backup funding source however, doing so is optional.

Login to Me Too

bizzyb38
New Community Member

I am in pretty much the same situation. Can the account not be verified by the email provided? The other person will have the information and I don't want to add a card or bank info as they will also have access to it......and I'm afraid I can't trust them not to withdraw from my account. What, if anything, can be done about this? (They are 'stongly suggesting' I get a debit card, so am a bit wary of their 'true' intentions.

Thank you,

Bizzyb38

Login to Me Too

caalave
New Community Member
I have verified my email and linked my bank account to paypal, now i just simply want to transfer 15$ to a friend of mine, but it says i need to link a creditcard. But i don't have a creditcard, i linked my bank account to it and there's 15$ on my paypal, so why can't i transfer it?
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@caalave

If you want the usefulness of the transfer you will need to link a credit card.  If you don't have one, you will need to get one.

Login to Me Too

Raido
New Community Member

well im 11. i cant get a credit card. tried to link my debit card but i cant cause it doesnt allow me to make any purchases / transactions online.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Raido wrote:

well im 11. i cant get a credit card. tried to link my debit card but i cant cause it doesnt allow me to make any purchases / transactions online.

you have to be 18 to have a Paypal account. 

Login to Me Too

Hackednode
New Community Member
Use a prepaid
Login to Me Too

ianTr
Contributor
Contributor
I had a bank accoun link on my paypal i changed the payment method that only my bank account is the prefered payment method .. how come im trying to.make a payment then i have to link a new credit or debit card !...
Login to Me Too

yurionice
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. I am pretty much in the same problem. I wanted to donate a certain amount of money from my PayPal account for this cause but I found out that I cannot do so without linking a credit/debit card. To use this feature, I must link an account. If that happens. will my donation (or any other payment that I want to make) will be charged on my PayPal account or the card that I linked? 

Thank you in advance,

A.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.