Payment stuck in limbo/why can’t I cancel?

I sent someone money for an item I purchased (not thru eBay) and then needed a refund. The seller agreed to the refund but said he couldn’t give it to me because PayPal hasn’t released it to him. He sent me a screenshot of a PayPal message saying, “submit info to access funds. To continue having access to your funds, you’ll need to submit the info we requested.” However he seems uninterested in submitting the necessary info and hasn’t done anything despite my multiple attempts to follow up. It’s been more than 30 days and my money is trapped in limbo. He claims not to have it, and I don’t have it. To put it another way, I don’t understand how/why PayPal doesn’t consider the payment “pending” if the recipient can’t access the funds. I simply want to be able to cancel the transaction, but I can’t — and yet the recipient hasn’t actually received the funds. (Or at least claims he hasn’t.) assuming he is telling the truth, what is this bizarre gray area I’m in, and how can I get out of it? What is going on, and how can I get my money back? Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@StupidInSeattle 

The only thing we need to know is the one thing you have not said.

All the above couldn't have been posted in one sentence.

Has the seller received my payment as its marked as pending / unclaimed / payment or completed on my paypal account.

So which is it?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.