Major lack of Info and communication...guidance would be helpful

cplank00
Contributor
Contributor

I would like Paypal to be held accountable for the way they have misled this whole issue I have been having since 11/26 to current date. I won an eBay vehicle auction for $7600. I went to pay the seller and it was rejected due to the seller not having a verified email with PayPal. He went and verified his account and then I tried to pay again. It was denied due to fraudulent activity because of the previous payment being denied/rejected.(was told this by an agent at Paypal)  I then called PayPal to verify the money would not be taken from my bank account because I was going to get a certified bank check to pay the seller when I went to pick up the vehicle. The customer service agent said no the money would not leave my bank account, etc. It was a lengthy conversation due to the language barrier. I then went to my bank to get the check. 2 hours after the phone call to PayPal and an hour or so after I got the check from my bank, Paypal tried to take the money from my bank. Which in turn caused an overdraft fee. I called PayPal again to tell them about the previous conversation and how the money was taken by them from my account. I was then sent to a supervisor where I told him the story. He said he would listen to the conversation I had with the customer service agent and fix the communication break down etc. So here we are today and I get a call from my bank. Paypal again tried to pull the $7600 from my bank. I called Paypal again. This lady told me that they would try twice to pull the money since it was denied/rejected. The previous representatives nor the supervisor told me this info!! I am now down $70 in bank fee's due to the lack of customer service/misinformation/lack of info/etc. from PayPal. They have neglected a loyal customer and I am on the verge of canceling my account so nothing else happens. I have been using their services for over 15 yrs. and I have never had an issue with them. This is a lack of customer service and they need to be held accountable. I work in Medicine and we are held accountable every second of every day we work. People get fired for **bleep** up or patients die. I understand this is not the same but a company of this size should be held to higher standards, and when things happen they need to FIX it with that customer. I can't imagine if this happened to an older person or someone who doesn't keep an eye on their bank accounts like I do. 

Hoping to get some info on here on how to handle this.  I'm not letting it go.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cplank00 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-happens-when-an-authorized-payment-is-returned-for-...

If the payment was rejected/declined, why in the world did the system put the bank payment through is what I don't get. You made two transactions, were they both marked declined in your PayPal account or not appearing in your PayPal account at all? But when a bank payment goes through and its insufficient funds initially, yes, up to 2 more attempts will be made with risk of additional overdraft fees before they tap your back up.

Maybe you want someone higher up to take a look at this case so I suggest opening a case with bbb.org under PayPal San Jose CA to get PayPal Office of Executive Escalations to review why your payment went through when it was rejected. Can't guarantee they will refund the overdraft fees though. Leave emotion out of it, explain what happened and ask them to look into why when payment was declined/rejected, it when through anyway because payment was declined twice by the system that you decided to manually withdraw the money to pay seller in person for your vehicle.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

cplank00
Contributor
Contributor

The first payment was declined due to seller not having a verified email. Once the seller said he contacted PayPal and fixed that issue I tried to pay again and that's where it was rejected due to funds because I had gone to the bank to get a cert. check. However, it wouldn't let me because of fraud it said. To many big payments within a certain time etc. The whole point is I was told by two people that the money would not be taken out of my bank or even get to my bank. But it did and PayPal tried not only once but twice. I think its a ridiculous rule that they try again after the first failed.  lol  I know that is not a PayPal thing....I'm just beyond frustrating because talking to the people on the phone is sometimes like talking to a tree. 

I read the link...so it has only been tried once since the initial try where it was denied due to seller account issue.  Does this mean it will try to go through again? I don't want to cancel my account but I may be safer to do so?  

I already filed with the BBB and used the location you typed. I am going to call again monday or tuesday because I don't believe I will get anywhere at all with the weekend crew. HA

Thanks for the reply.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.