How to remove message to customer regarding additional merchant charges

Hurray001
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have been alerted recently by a customer about a message she got regarding additional merchant charges when trying to checkout.

Following is the message:

You authorize up to $9.00 to include any additional merchant charges related to shipping, tax, or other. You only pay for what you agree to.

What she is trying to buy is worth $6 and we offer free shipping. So she stopped the checkout process and called us.

Can you please let me know how we can get rid of this message from checkout process as I am sure some of my customers are abandoning their checkout due to it.

Thank You.

Prad

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

matt-ecommdev
Contributor
Contributor

We're also seeing this, and we're also having customers question the motive behind this worrying statement - we have no intent to ever authorize or capture more than the amount we display to the customer.

I have checked the order API and I can't see anywhere we can opt out of this sillyness.

Did you find a solution?

Login to Me Too

Hurray001
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This is a message we received from Paypal's technical team:

-----------------------------

Thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Technical Support. I am happy to assist with your inquiry.
I am sorry to hear about the drop in sales. To investigate this behavior I tested [our website] and reviewed the API requests associated with your account. I was able to checkout and received the authorization message you provided in the screenshot.
After doing some searching I found the reason for this message. Due to recent financial regulation changes with PSD2, where required by this regulation, PayPal will display this message. It is not possible to remove this message.
I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Thank you for using PayPal, and have a wonderful day!
Sincerely,
Matthew
Merchant Technical Support - Engineer
PayPal, Inc.

----------------------------------

Paypal simply does not seem to understand how this change has had negative impact on our sales. If they do not change it, we will be forced to quit paypal and use our bank's card payment method.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

Login to Me Too

matt-ecommdev
Contributor
Contributor

That's insane but I doubt it's accurate. But thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

Paypal support quite often doesnt know their own product. It isn't PSD2 related afaik.

It's on my todo list to check some other large merchants and see if they suffer too - if not then it would lead me to re-investigate if it is anything API or account related. Ill update if i find anything, thanks

Login to Me Too

Hurray001
Contributor
Contributor

I also did some check on other merchants. Some small ones seem to have similar problem. As for the big ones, I saw that they have opted to not give an option to pay by card via Paypal but only with paypal account. They seems to use a different payment by card method. Where on our site, we use Paypal and give an option to our customers to pay by card if they don't want to create a paypal account.

Anyway, please keep me posted if you find something. I will do the same on my side.

Login to Me Too

Hurray001
Contributor
Contributor

I got this new message from PayPal:

Hi,
This is a result of financial regulation, so you would need to reach out to the legislators of a buyer's country to repeal this regulation.
When I check out with a USA address this message does not occur, so you could also limit your customer base to countries outside of the EU that also are not taking part in the PSD2 financial regulation.
I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Thank you for using PayPal, and have a wonderful day!
Sincerely,
Matthew
Merchant Technical Support - Engineer
PayPal, Inc.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.