A simple way to install the new payment integration.

Langerent
Contributor
Contributor

I have gone round and round on your site with your explination(s) on how to install the new payment intergration in a custom site.  The older "add a button" system was so easy to use but this new system is so confusing to add.  I have been a web designer for over 20 years and i can usually figure things old fairly easily but this new system is just not user friedly to install.  Can some one explain how to install the new system step by step with out going to another page or link.

Step One: Install this code to your page.

Step Two: Change this section of the code to your client number.

Step Three: Add this JS (or what ever code) to your server and attach if necessary.  To do this, you need to create a file called xxx.js and save it to your root folder.

Step Four: etc...

All of the pages I have found are written like everyone is a coding expert and should be able to figure it out easily.  I am sencing that you want people to stop using the older "add a button" system as you have made it difficult to find in the site.  (I did finally find it though)  

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

ajrdileva
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I understand html, php, javascript, but have never used Node.js 

Where do you upload these .js files, how do you run the nodes app?

I need a simple explanation of how it works, the concepts in a short explanation.

All the examples and tutorials are shown using visual studio code and how to test using the sandbox environment. How do I deploy when I'm ready?

Where do I put my files? How do I run the nodejs app?

I just need a few clues to understand the concept. A step by step tutorial shouldn't be so hard to create.

Login to Me Too

UKArtist
Contributor
Contributor

My understanding, @ajrdileva, is that if you're on shared Apache hosting (as I am) then installing node.js is a 'no', because it requires changing server code that's not accessible.

I'd be ecstatic if someone tells me I'm wrong, and that setting up node.js to run on my basket url only is a doddle on restricted shared hosting...

Until I discover otherwise, I'm busy trying to figure out which 'bits' need to be php.

So far I've changed the app.js fetch to call a simple php echo json script (that gets contents of an orders text file). This seems to be working.

Except I'm getting an 'order id' missing error. I've not been at this long, and it feels unessessarily painful. Why are paypal ignoring the billions of customers on shared Apache (etc) hosting plans I wonder - it's mystifying.

Login to Me Too

Langerent
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have an answer to this issue?

Login to Me Too

UKArtist
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I assume, @Langerent, you're on an Apache (linux) shared hosting plan? And you're just after a basket total button?

I understand the "Checkout standard" is aimed at those of us who only want a basket/cart total sent to paypal to process (no customer details collected by our sites). That's what I'm working on - trying to get to that simple set-up as a starter.

So I'm in here: Checkout standard (Developer area) . I've ignored the top bit about installing node.js. Node.js is no use to me on a shared Apache host plan.

Further down the page is checkout.html which plonks into your basket page (almost like a module). That and app.js, will happily call up the buttons on your page. The buttons won't work of course because checkout.js and app.js are only two parts of the four needed.... I'm right at the start of this so sorry I'm not much use...

As I see it, I have to suss how to turn server.js into a php script, and when and how to call it. I've got app.js  calling a php script that supplies an order as a json response which it seems happy with. But, well... I've a way to go yet.

I've looked at the picture "Workflow for integrating Standard Checkout" (at the top of the page) and think i get the ghist of it, but it's not clear what exactly is passed each time.

If any of this helps you, then maybe between us we'll fathom something?

Login to Me Too

PhilAJ
New Community Member

Did you manage to get this working?

I'm just at the start of integrating and finding it very confusing.

Phil

Login to Me Too

PhilAJ
New Community Member

Did anyone manage to get this working without node.js ?

Phil

Login to Me Too

LCLCLC
Contributor
Contributor

It's mind bending that this post hasn't been responded to.

Login to Me Too

Langerent
Contributor
Contributor

I am just checking back in to see if PayPal has any suggestions for this.

Login to Me Too

UKArtist
Contributor
Contributor

Hey.

Apologies for taking time to respond.

To be honest, I slogged away at it for a while and then realized my website needed an upgrade so stopped to do that (and take a long break, I was so brassed-off with PayPal on this).

I had begun to rewrite server.js as a php script, and successfully got my website basket to send a notification to paypal with the basket total. It showed up in the test area as having been received, and it attempted to send back a message I hadn't confidently grasped (I think some sort of token possibly). The process is a bit ping-pong (back and forth) is my impression.

This was last year about December time, and I'm a bit hazy recalling exactly, given it's now April '24. I think I had the last stage to do, where a confirmation is exchanged, then payment is taken and success/failure is confirmed back.

So basically, I was feeling like I was getting there. But foiled by a website upgrade becoming due. I'm now well through that, so should be back on it in a couple (or three, or... !!) months.

I'll be back here to:

1. Check if any topics have been added to the community by others that shed light, and...
  2. Check generally on the internet to see if there's more out there about this now... and
  3. To respond to this thread (If I can be of help or leave something for future, I will).

I'm deeply unimpressed with Paypal on this, gotta say. It's like wading through treacle when you 'get-by' with coding like I do.

Best.,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.