Undisclosed fees charged for transfer payment

Viking53
Contributor
Contributor

I paid an invoice for services rendered from a supplier in Cyprus, via my CC based here in Dubai. Final amount was in Euros, payment was in AED (Dirhams).

I entered the exact amount of the invoice and the amount deducted from my account was shown in AED. It stated that a charge for the currency conversion was built in. There was no indication of a fee amount that would be deducted from the sellers account on receipt. Invoiced amount was for 540 EUR but the seller only received 510.49 EUR 

A FEE of 29.51 EUR was charged! 

I wrote to PayPal to ask if a fee would be charged, they did not understand and confirmed a currency transaction fee… that was obvious, but no mention or indication of a FEE anywhere to be seen. I now have to make up the shortfall… what a misleading service this is and I have tried without success to find anything that answers my question. In the terms I read that if there is a service fee for any transaction it will be shown or reflected. I specifically asked PayPal help via chat line how much do I need to add to the amount sent to ensure the seller receives exactly 540 EUR. They replied there is a currency conversion fee. I truly have never dealt with such incompetence for such a simple transaction before… does anybody in the community have a solution to this routine problem? Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Viking53, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum, and welcome as a new member! 

There are fees associated with PayPal, and a full breakdown of the fees is show to you upon checkout. Please review the "Fees" tab at the bottom of any PayPal website page, and this will advised when an additional fee may be charged by PayPal. For example: due to currency, or cross border transaction fees - https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Viking53
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Siobhan2

Ah, the elusive  "Fees" tab at the bottom of any PayPal website page… I looked for this as its referred to in the texts I read researching my issue, on the Mac platform I work on, latest operating system, (Big Sur) there is definitely NO "FEES" tab on the bottom of any PayPay web pages. The link you provided opens up in Arabic and no matter where I try and click looking for 'ENGLISH' I cant change it from arabic. There are two language options at the very bottom of the page when fully scrolled down, they are French and English, clicking on them makes no change however. Therefore I am unable to refer to the page you sent and the information they contain

Thanks, is there a way to send an English link to the same page?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Viking53,

I am sorry to hear you are unable to locate the "Fees" tab. I can assure the tab is located on the bottom of any PayPal website page, beside "Help and Contact". From your Community profile, I can see you are located in the UAE. Please review this link from the UAE PayPal website on Fees - https://www.paypal.com/al/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.