PayPal is asking me to buy 3 100 google play cards to get a refund?

James157
Contributor
Contributor

Am I getting scammed? I called the PayPal number online and they had me buy 300 worth of cards at different times and now they want me to buy 300 of google play to credit me 800? Is this normal?

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
@Krihnt READ THE THREAD. You did not call paypal it would have been a fake scam number obtained via google OR a scammer posting on this forum. You can tell as they try and give unasked for advice and the phone number is in a strange format to bypass security. Most get reported and removed but some slip through. The only way to get paypals real number is via help/contact bottom of paypal pages. If someone was locked out of their account that means they gave their paypal account information to a scammer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Steffanielr
Contributor
Contributor
I had to send them cards to be refunded my money. Then they said there were two people out of the country that were accessing my account. They said I would have to get a google card to get them to block those people but I would be refunded immediately. I had to go to different stores use different cards my bank put a hold on my card because of all the unusual transactions. I was driving around for hours with a fever getting so angry and frustrated and not even thinking straight. They were texting me, and it said it was from PayPal so I assumed this was all legit.... even though none of this made sense. They never wanted to hang up with me, they stayed on the phone with me for five hours, even while I ran into stores and while I drove around. This whole fiasco ended and I am $5000 poorer now. It was all so crazy.... I just wanted my money and it’s spiraled out of control . Most humiliating and stupid thing ever
Login to Me Too

Trevonu
New Community Member
Same thing happened to me have anyone been able to get refund
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Trevonu 

Why would scammers give you a refund?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Abdulrasheed3
I called the call to I bought $500 and they are still asking for $500
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Abdulrasheed3 

Did you not read this thread, its a SCAM.

Its a SCAM.
It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.
The number shows up when you use 'google' to find paypals number OR a scammer has posted a thread in this forum.
Most times these threads get reported and removed but some slip through.
The scammers post genuine advice but the phone number is in the title or post often in a strange format to get around paypals security.
They also often put loads of 'tags' on the side to push down any warning posts below.
That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum.
The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to the 'call us' option to phone them.
If you think about it why would paypal ask you to buy google vouchers or itunes cards to answer your question?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jhadore
Same thing just happened to my husband! We got the number from the PayPal website not by looking it up on google though so I am really not sure how we got connected to the scam. It sounded strange to me but he said to buy the google play card and then they said there was a mistake to buy a $500 one.... that’s when my husband got super upset and realized it was scam.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jhadore 

Its a SCAM.
It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.
The number shows up when you use 'google' to find paypals number OR a scammer has posted a thread in this forum.
Most times these threads get reported and removed but some slip through.
The scammers post genuine advice but the phone number is in the title or post often in a strange format to get around paypals security.
That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum.
The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to the 'call us' option to phone them.
If you think about it why would paypal ask you to buy google vouchers or itunes cards to answer your question or issue you a refund etc?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ashman9
Contributor
Contributor

they done same thing to me ! and paypal take the side of them and deny my claims! without even tell me the reason of it! i try to use the CONTACT DETAILS of google from paypal resolution centre but it is a wrong email address ! i asked paypal for a right email address but paypal telling me to go and find it your self! paypal stand behind charlatans and they dont care what happen to us ! SHAM 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.