June 30, 2018 deadline for updating browser

btmullenix
Contributor
Contributor

I have an ordinary account (but my debit card says 'Business' on it).  I just use PayPal to purchase items from e-bay (mostly).  My browsers are already at the top of their abilities and I can't afford to purchase a new computer.  Am I really not going to be able to see my PayPal account after 6/30/18?  Am I supposed to withdraw my money and close the account?  Seriously, what are 'poor' people supposed to do here?  I'm on a fixed income and have to watch every penny, and am unable to accommodate PayPal's upgrade request.  Would it make a difference if I had a personal account, in which case, how do I change from Business to Personal?  (Don't know how I got on Business in the first place).  I read the policy information and am completely lost, as I have no idea what all those initials stand for or if I use them to make purchases.  And even if I can continue to make purchases, if I can't see my account, I won't be able to track purchases or ask questions.  This is all very confusing for non-computer literate elderly people!

Login to Me Too
148 REPLIES 148

5te5
Contributor
Contributor
How do i upgrade my browser for paypal
Login to Me Too

madhatteras
New Community Member

I have received an email from PayPal saying that the browser I use is not compliant with PayPal's security standards and informing

me how to upgrade my browser to the latest version.

This does not make any sencse to me as I use the latest version of IE11 with Windows 7 - 64bit which is also up to date.

I also use Chrome which is my default browser and that is also right up to date.

SO, what am I missing??

Login to Me Too

familypickture
New Community Member

Recently, a notification was issued to PayPal users warning them that if their browser was not up to date, they would be unable to access their account through that browser after the deadline June 30th. I've also inferred that people with outdated browsers are mailed a letter from PayPal warning them yet again. However, this has left me confused and a bit concerned. My Chrome browser is up to date and is functioning properly, yet I've received mail from PayPal and have been notified that it isn't. I had made sure to check the links provided and re download Chrome. When I had tried to find a way to contact PayPal of this issue, I am only left with a FAQ page and no contacts. Perhaps this is where I can find help for my situation? With Chrome downloaded and up to date, what more must I do to insure that I will be able to access my PayPal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

If you're running the latest version of your browser, you should be OK (that's what the rest of us are assuming at this point.)

Login to Me Too

Kiloueka
New Community Member

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I don't have my own website but I do have my account linked to redbubble, ko-fi, and etsy so is it talking about that? I kept looking around but I couldn't figure out anything about this. It almost seems like a scam mail but all of the links look legit.

20180617_190055 (1).jpg

Transcript:

ACTION REQUIRED BY JUNE 30, 2018 TO CONTINUE PROCESSING PAYMENTS.
june 4 2018
p PayPal
Over the last two years, we've tried contacting you to inform you of an urgent security requirement that now needs your immediate attention. Please follow the steps below to avoid any interruption in your ability to process PayPal and credit card transactions.
What's changing?
The Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI) has issued new security standards that must be implemented by June 30, 2018. By this date, all entities must stop using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)/early Transport Layer Security (TLS) as a security control in their systems and completely transition to a secure version of TLS encryption protocols, such as TLS 1.2. You can read more about the security standards on the PCI website: pcisecuritystandards.org
Action required by June 30, 2018.
Our records show that your PayPal integration uses an older encryption protocol. You must take the following actions immediately to upgrade your PayPal integration(s) to the TLS 1.2 cryptographic protocol by June 30, 2018.
1. Visit our security website to view the requirements: paypal.com/tls
2. If your website is hosted by a third-party, work with your web hosting company or ecommerce software provider. Otherwise, please contact your in-house web programmer or system administrator to make these updates.
3. Use our testing environment to verify that your systems support the latest security standards: tlstest.paypal.com. The testing environment will present a 'PayPal_Connection_OK' message if you've completed the update correctly. If you fail to upgrade your integration by June 30, 2018, you'll be unable to process any PayPal or credit card transactions.

Testing periods.
Before June 30, 2018, PayPal will conduct weekly testing to emulate the upgraded security experience. The testing dates are published on our security website: paypal.com/tls
These tests will help you understand the areas of your integration that still require security protocol upgrades. If your systems have been upgraded to support TLS 1.2, you shouldn't be impacted during the testing periods. However, if your system integrations aren't upgraded, you may experience interruptions to PayPal services, such as payment processing and reporting. Please be advised that each testing period could last several hours.
We urge you to make the necessary security protocol upgrades now to ensure you're ready before the June 30, 2018 deadline. If you need additional support, please contact your web hosting company, ecommerce software provider, in-house web programmer, or system administrator.
John Nai Chief information Security Officer (CISO)

Login to Me Too

PaulWeiser
New Community Member

This looks like a fake message.  It contains a typical fake message error after30th.  It contains a link I presume is unsafe.  When I check my browser (Chrome) it is up to date.  Paypal sites seem peppered with this instruction to update.

What is going on here?  Has phishing reached a new high of sophistication?  

Login to Me Too

Raj56
New Community Member

Hi Paul

The email is good as it should show your full name (first and last name) or company name at the top which means its from PayPal.

All you need to do is check that the Web Browser that you use is at the latest version and supports the Security protocol TLS1.1 or TLS1.2.

The latest versions of the Browsers such as IE 11, Chrome, FireFox, Safari do support TLS security protocol and should be enabled or set in the security settings of the Browser.  If the Browser version is older then update to the most recent version.  Windows will automatically update IE and Edge but others you might have to manually update to the latest version.

"The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a set of security standards designed to ensure that ALL companies that accept, process, store or transmit credit card information maintain a secure environment."

PCI DSS have changed the standards from SSL easy TLS protocol to a more stronger security protocol TLS 1.1/1.2 so all you need to do is ensure that in your Browser security setting TLS1.1 and TLS 1.2 are both ticked.  This secure protocol changes come in to effect from 30th June and companies like PayPal have to change to this protocol when exchanging card/bank details between financial institutes.  If your Browser does not support this TLS secure protocol then PayPal will either tell you so or fail to complete your transaction.

Hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

poppe-an
New Community Member

PayPal sent me an email indicating I MUST change my web browser by June 30th to comply with new security regulations but when I checked as requested I received a message saying "PayPal connexion OK".

Which is correct?

Login to Me Too

Emchris
New Community Member
Went to the App Store on mobile device...which “web browser” do I “search” for?
Login to Me Too

sherisusan
New Community Member

System is maxed out, am unable to upgrade to new browser. Although I won't be able to access my account, will I still be able to pay for items with PayPal on Amazon or Ebay?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.