Scammed

Tjb123456789
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried to call PayPal to break up a purchase into the 4 payments deal because I accidently bought the item as a whole without really being able to afford it. I googled contact info for paypal. I called them Google gives you. The guys name was <removed> ext 1191 supposedly and he told me to do this id have to send a reversal request to a Gmail account.. ive never really been techno savvy so I did as I was instructed. He then told me to get further help I would need to download an app called anydesk so he could see what I was doing to help me. As soon as I did this he asked me to tell him the number that popped up so he could link with me. The link that came through was paypal support and a huge long number afterwards it all seemed official until he told me the email to punch in. As soon as I did that he took control of my device and sent this specific email address 3 transactions totaling $692.20. So I just want to know if paypal will do anything about this nonsense. It put my account into the negative. If they won't do anything, can I get my bank to cancel the transactions?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

SMS33
Contributor
Contributor
Not sure if PayPal will do anything, although I'm sure they will if you dispute it with them properly. The real PayPal support phone number i[Removed. Phone #s not permitted] Or you can chat message them through your account by signing in at PayPal.com.
Login to Me Too

SMS33
Contributor
Contributor
Why they won't let me post THEIR phone number is beyond me. But it is 844-three six 8-6 six 3 three.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tjb123456789 

It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number inserted into google search and pretending to be paypal customer services.
That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum in case scammers put threads on here with fake paypal numbers ''pretending'' to help.
The only way to get the real paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages.
The scammers will always try to get you to buy vouchers or ask for sensitive financial account information or access information to your computer or account which Paypal customer services would never do.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SMS33
Contributor
Contributor
I guess that makes sense but PayPal should post it's legitimate number in more places. It is actually very difficult to find. It was behind a 2 factor authentication page for me while signed into my account just to SEE the number. It's no wonder people looking for the number find it easier to find scam phone numbers. Do better PayPal.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SMS33 

Why is it hard to find?

You click on help/CONTACT bottom of paypal pages > contact us > then you see the options.

Hardly rocket science to be honest.

However the reason its not more prominent is that most of the questions paypal get asked could easily be resolved by asking in the FAQ section via help or asking on here.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.