Pending Payment

Kate_U
New Community Member

About a week ago, I received an invoice payment from one of my customers and it is still on hold. I read everywhere that it would likely take about 1 week to receive my payment, but a week later, I am nowhere closer to my money than I was before. Can someone help me figure out WHY its taking so long? It is already out of the customers account.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Jack

Hi Kate_U, 

Thank you for reaching out. 

I understand that your payment is currently on hold. Most transactions received for the payment of Goods and / or Services are subject to a holding period of up to 21 days or until we can confirm that the buyer has received the item or service they purchased from you. We do this in an effort to create a safer online payments community, the money received is yours and is placed on hold in your pending balance. 

Here are some common reasons why a payment may be temporarily unavailable:

• You’re a new seller with PayPal, or you’re an established seller but have opened a new account. It takes time to build up enough history of successful transactions.
  • You haven’t sold in a while. Previously inactive accounts may be subject to payment holds while rebuilding a positive selling history.
  • You receive a large number of reversals, disputes, or chargebacks. We suggest that you communicate with your customers often and work with them to resolve any concerns. If your customer filed a dispute or chargeback because someone illegally used their PayPal account to make the transaction, please hold off on shipping any items.
  • Your selling pattern has changed. For example, the sales volume increases abnormally, or there’s a change in your average selling price, business platform, or type of item being sold.
  • The transaction involves higher-risk items, including tickets, gift cards, consumer electronics, computers, and travel packages.

By placing the payments on hold, we want to make sure that there are enough funds in your PayPal account to resolve any issues that may arise with your transactions, such as chargebacks or disputes.

If there aren’t any issues with your transaction or account, the payment will typically be available to you within 21 days after receipt (the funds may not be released until later in the day). To get your payments released sooner, use trackable delivery with any of our approved delivery companies and enter the tracking details on your Activities page. We’ll usually release your payment 1 day after delivery is confirmed. If your buyer confirms they've received the item, your payment will be released immediately.

If you used a shipping company that offers online tracking, you can add shipment tracking information to the transaction on your PayPal account. We recommend that you add online tracking to confirm delivery, as it is one of the requirements to be eligible for Seller Protection. For digital or intangible items (ebooks, services, etc.), change the status to "Order Process/Service Rendered".

Here’s how to add your tracking information or change the order status:

1. Click Activity at the top of the page.
  2. Find the transaction you would like to update, then click on the dropdown list in the 'Actions' column next to it.
  3. Click Get your money in the dropdown list.
  4. If you sold a product, select Product and add tracking information or print shipping label directly.
  5. If you sold an intangible item or service, select Service or Virtual Product.
  6. Click Submit.

Once you click 'Submit', the buyer receives an email notifying them that you entered the shipment tracking information for this transaction (if applicable). The email includes the tracking number, order status, and shipping company.

Your funds will be released 1 day after we confirm that your item was delivered or 7 days after we verify fulfillment of your order if shipping is not applicable.

I hope this helps, 

Jack 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_Jack 

What was wrong with the link I provided?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jack
@kernowlass, your answer, as with all your other answers, was absolutely fine as always. I just wanted to give a full descriptive answer with the steps on how to add tracking. Apologies if it came across like that.

Jack
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_Jack 

ok thanks, just wondered if I should be putting more detail on my posts as I tend to just post the links with the info in them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.