PAYPAL STOLE MY MONEY. Can I file a lawsuits against them?

zarut
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all, 

I have an issue with Paypal hacked to my account, converted Euros to USD and STOLE MONEY OVER USD2000 from my account. For information, please read how Paypal is trying to ignore my questions by answering something that is completely unrelated to my concerns. 

To make it easier for everyone to understand, I will make my inquiry to Paypal in BOLD and Paypal response in underlined.  

I wanted to know how much is the negative balance for USD? I also would like to know why there is a conversion from Euros to USD? I have other currencies such as SGD and THB, why not get those to convert to USD? What is happening?

Paypal response was;

PayPal's exchange rates are updated daily. The total cost of international transactions made with PayPal is usually less than many international multi-currency bank transfers.

* Please note that you will always be shown the exchange rate before completing a transaction.

To view our up to date exchange rates, please log in to your PayPal account and go to https://www.paypal.xxx/businesswallet/currencyConverter/GBP.

Because they did NOT respond to anything that I wanted to know, so I asked

You did not tell me why you convert Euros to USD instead of SGD to THB to USD. Before you convert any currency, I would rather you ask me first which currency will get converted. As you could see that I was not aware that I had negative balance in USD hence asked you repeatedly before you could inform me that I had negative balance. Now, I prefer that you give me back Euros and use THB or SGD to cover the negative balance.

Paypal response was 

PayPal is self initiated and like what mentioned that before you sent the payment you will always be shown the exchange rate before completing a transaction.

Paypal continues to do what they do best, ignoring my questions, so I asked

I did NOT ask you how to look up exchange rate. What I wanted to know was why Paypal simply converted Euros to USD without my consent? I do not mind that you have to convert THB or SGD to USD, but I prefer that you leave my Euros untouched. Now that I have USD on my account, I prefer to refund back my Euros which you took and take my USD instead. Please let me know how to proceed.

Their response was;

I have reviewed the details here and I understand that you would like to confirm why the money that you have received is giving you an option to convert it to Euro, THB or SGD.

It may have been that the money that you have multiple currencies registered in your PayPal account, that is why it is asking you the option of converting it to the currencies available in your PayPal account.

Here's how to manage multiple currencies:
1.Click Wallet at the top of the page.

Because they still ignored my questions, I asked

I do not understand why it was so difficult for you to understand. If you look at my account history, on July 24th, there was conversation happening WITHOUT MY CONSENT. 1,811.70 EUR was converted to $2,098.33 USD WITHOUT giving any notice in advance. I was concerned as to why you could not ask me if I prefer to have other currencies such as SGD to THB convert to USD. You simply took a liberty to convert Euros to USD and I was not informed of it. Now that I have USD on my account, I prefer that you give me back 1,811.70 EUR and take away my USD to cover whatever negative balance instead. BTW, I cannot upload proof of address because when I went to Resolution Center as suggested, it did not have option that I could upload my document.

Their response was;

without you trying to change the primary currency, there won't be a balance conversion made in the account. Did you try to change the primary currency on the account on 07/24?

Still ignored my question, so I asked;

Hi, I did not change my primary currency for over a year. There was no option for me to do so. As I mentioned, this was done WITHOUT MY CONSENT. I have no idea that it happened until I checked my Paypal account. That is why I need my 1,811.70 EUR refunded back to my account because I have already had USD on my Paypal. Just to let you know that when I go to Wallet page, there is no "available currency" for me to look at, so it is impossible for me to change any currency to be my primary.

Their response was;

can you please check the account through "wallet" and check what kind of currency is set in your account. The flag of the country will show on it.

Paypal refused to acknowledge their action, so I asked

Hi, when I asked you more than one question, why do you also choose to answer only one and ignore the rest? Who should I expect to speak to get all of my inquiry within one message? I asked you about refunding Euros. As I mentioned, this was done WITHOUT MY CONSENT. I have no idea that it happened until I checked my Paypal account. That is why I need my 1,811.70 EUR refunded back to my account because I have already had USD on my Paypal. 

Their response was;

When your transferring money from your account to your bank or if your updating some information on your account. I would suggest that you use a regular browser and not your mobile application. With PayPal Cash account or PayPal Cash Plus account It's simple to withdraw money. You can transfer money directly to your linked bank account or Visa and MasterCard Debit & Prepaid Cards, use your PayPal Debit MasterCard®, or have us mail you a check.

Here’s how to withdraw money:
  1. Click Transfer Money under your available balance.

Again, none of my questions were answered. 

Hi, once again, I did NOT ask you HOW TO WITHDRAW THE MONEY. I AM fully aware of how to do it. I asked you about refunding Euros. As I mentioned, this was done WITHOUT MY CONSENT. I have no idea that it happened until I checked my Paypal account. That is why I need my 1,811.70 EUR refunded back to my account because I have already had USD on my Paypal.

Their response was;

It’s perfectly where you are coming from and I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with this situation.

Here's how to accept money in a new currency:
    1.Log in to your PayPal account.

Obviously, it is NOT perfect because they did not answer anything that I asked them, so I asked;

For the third time, I did NOT ask you how to accept money in other currency. What I wanted to know was when Paypal can refund back Euros in which they took and converted to USD to cover my negative balance without informing me in advance? I have already had the USD to cover this balance, so I need for you to refund 1,811.70 EUR back to my account.

Their response was;

I see that you have concerns about your transaction. I understand how important it is at your end but, I'll do my best to help you. As I've checked 2520.57 EUR is already part of your available balance. We don't have an option to refund it to your bank. If you want to transfer the amount in Euros to your bank you will have to initiate it on your end.
    With PayPal Cash account or PayPal Cash Plus account It's simple to withdraw money. You can transfer money directly to your linked bank account or Visa and MasterCard Debit & Prepaid Cards, use your PayPal Debit MasterCard®, or have us mail you a check.

Here’s how to withdraw money:

I asked;

Hi, I refer to the transaction ID number 4BD136639G291xxxx. It has nothing to do with me wanting to transfer the fund my local bank account, but it was about Paypal taking my Euros converted to USD without ever imforming me in advance. Therefore, what I wanted Paypal to do is to refund back 1,811.70 EUR and take the USD in which I have on my account instead.

Their response was;

I see that there will be a currency conversion fee if you receive the funds in different currency.
    If you want to refund the payment to the sender, you can do that from your end as well.
    Here's how to refund a payment:
    1. Click Activities near the top of the page.

They seemed to be totally clueless of what is happening, so I asked;

Hi, if you read my post history, you would see that I refer to the transaction ID number 4BD136639G2915xxx. On 7/24, it was PAYPAL that took my money out of my account WITHOUT MY PERMISSIO. I don't understand why it was so difficult for Paypal to comprehend what is happening. What I am trying to ask you to do is to give me back 1,811.70 EUR in which Paypal took WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. I now have USD on my account in which I allow you take instead. Therefore, just refund me 1,811.70 EUR and take whatever the neccessary from my account.

Their response was;

We did not take the €1,811.70 EUR from your account. You made a conversion of the €1,811.70 EUR to US dollar currency that is why it was converted to $2,098.33 USD.

Conversion From
      €1,811.70 EUR
      Exchange Rate
      1 EUR = 1.158212 USD fee
      Conversion To
      $2,098.33 USD.

They seemed to be in denial of their wrongdoings, so I asked. 

Hi, you are WRONG. Paypal took the liberty of converting 1,811.70 EUR to 2,098.33 USD without my consent. Then, Paypal simply took that money awAy from my account WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. I do not understand why you cannot see on your end when it was Paypal that took money without informing me in adance. If this conversation leads to nowhere and I keep getting answers that are irrelevant to my concerns, I may have file a lawsuits and this is done without my consent.

Therefore, if you need my USD to cover the negative balance, please refund back 1,811.70 EUR and take away my USD in which I have on my account instead.

Paypal response was;

you weren't able to transfer the funds in USD on your account because what you received from several different people were in a different currency. When you choose a primary currency on your account, USD for example, it will always show USD in the amount converted from the currencies you have on the account despite them not being USD. So for you to transfer USD to your local bank, you'd have to convert the funds you received in a different currency first as they are not exactly USD, but only what they may amount to in USD. I hope that makes sense.

Paypal still refuses to understand my concerns and tried their best to divert my conversation to different topic, so I asked.

The problem that I have with Paypal was not only Paypal converted my Euros to USD, but you also took THOSE USD WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. IF YOU NEED USD, JUST GIVE ME BACK MY EUROS AND TAKE AWAY THE USD THAT i have on my account.

Their response was;

I'm really sorry, upon reviewing your account I can see that this transaction is completed since you are having US account funds will be sent as from Euro to USD we don't have an option to cancel this.

Their feedback was not met with my satisfactory, so I asked;

Sorry will NOT do. It was PAYPAL that converted my Euros to USD. Once the conversion of 1,811.70 EUR to 2,098.33 USD was completed, PAYPAL STOLE MY MONEY from my account. I had no idea that it happened. If this does not solved, I will file a lawsuit against you. If you can stole money from my account, you can also give it back.

Paypal answered me with this;

This is how you setup your account with multiple currencies on it.

1.Log in to your PayPal account.

Again, Paypal wanted to change the topic, so I asked. 

As usual, you did not answer anything related to my question

I did not ask you how to acccept the money, but I asked why Paypal stole money from my account. I have never given Paypal a permission to take my money away from my account. I also asked you about uploading document in which you completely ignored.

Then, this was a response I received.

1. Log in to your PayPal account.

•  

I asked then again;

Again, you answered me with something that HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY QUESTIONS. What I wanted to know was why you did not ask me what currencies I prefer to for Paypal to convert as I have THB, SGD, and Euros. I prefer Euros to be untouched hence my request for Paypal to refund it back to me. Therefore, if you need to cover the negative balance, please refund back €1,811.70 EUR and take $2,098.33 USD which I have already had on my account.

Paypal converted my Euros to USD WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. If they want me to cover the negative balance, they could simply ask me what currency I prefer to be converted, BUT THEY SIMPLY HACKED TO MY ACCOUNT AND STOLE IT.

Their response was 

Rommanee, I apologize if your main concern was not addressed. As long as you are going to transfer the funds to a US bank account, there should be an option for you to transfer it in USD currently. Please try to use this link to withdraw: http://www.paypal.com/wdfunds

I am seriously tired of dealing with them. Any suggestion is appreciated.  

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

zarut
Contributor
Contributor

I need help!

Login to Me Too

aggrider12
Contributor
Contributor

@zarut did you find a solution? I am also having a hard time like you. How to file a lawsuit?

Login to Me Too

zarut
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I ended up filing a complaint via Better Business Bureau website. Please be reminded that my PayPal was created in the US WITH the US address registered.
Login to Me Too

aggrider12
Contributor
Contributor

@zarut I see. Location matters. My business is Virtual Assistance to US-based clients that's why we use PayPal. What happened to the lawsuit if I may ask? I've no ways to do the same even if I want to. This is really affecting our business that is why I had to look in the PayPal community on how I can resolve this problem. I appreciate your response.  Thank you.

Login to Me Too

zarut
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I did not file a lawsuit and that I was why I had to make a complaint via BBB. Because I am currently in South East Asia, the process of filing a lawsuit against them in the US will get convoluted when I am across the continent.
Login to Me Too

Jaf3
Did you get your money back? Same just happened to me, and I got the same answers, word by word. Tried to buy something in the UK, then they cancelled the order 3 days later. They left lots of EUR sort. PayPal doesn't offer any solutions
Login to Me Too

zarut
Contributor
Contributor
If you are located in the States, I would recommend you file a dispute via BBB. It took me about a year, byt I managed to convince Paypal team to refund back the money. However, I provided them all of the additional necessary documents.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.