How to connect a TransferWise bank account with PayPal?

Celda
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a Canadian, and I made a US bank account using TransferWise (<removed>). The reason is because I want to withdraw the US dollars I receive via Paypal, into my Transferwise USD account.

The problem is, PayPal uses micro-deposits to confirm the bank acccount. Transferwise told me that their account doesn't receive the micro-deposits, but that they could still provide proof of ownership, i.e. that I control the account.

is there any way for me to confirm the account other than via micro-deposits?

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Celda

Hi Celda,

I don't think this can work because it is a type of virtual account. If it did work there would then be the issue of a double conversion. Would the withdrawals be converted back into Canadian dollars because your default account currency is the Canadian dollar, and then back into the US dollar that the bank account is based in. You would need to contact PayPal and ask if it would be possible to change this if this would be the case for a US dollar account.

I'm going to post an alternate PayPal link that you may not have used yet, for linking a United States bank account. If you are able to link the account, remember to withdraw a small amount at first to make sure everything is in order.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/walletservicingweb/webflow/sparta/addBankProcess?execution=e1s1

Login to Me Too

Celda
Contributor
Contributor

Just to give an update: I called PayPal and the rep was able to confirm the bank account over the phone. There shouldn't be an issue of double conversion, because when I receive USD, it stays in USD (I set my default currency as USD).

I attempted to do a withdrawal from my PayPal into my TransferWise - unfortunately I did the whole amount of 277~ USD, forgot to test it. I got a notice saying they are reviewing the transaction, maybe because it's my first withdrawal to that account.

Hoping it goes through.

Login to Me Too

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Celda

Thank you for the update.

Login to Me Too

Basofon
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Celda. So did the money arrive to your Transferwise account? I am surprised you were able to link your TW account with Paypal in the first place. Everytime I try to link my USD transferwise account with Paypal, I always receive an error message saying: "We were unable to process your bank account registration at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again at a later date."

After calling Paypal customer support, they told me they cannot transfer money to CFSB bank accounts (without stating why) and TW told me that all their USD accounts in the US are held at Community Federal Savings Bank.

Login to Me Too

Celda
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it worked. The money is transferred to my TransferWise account successfully.

Login to Me Too

rohitbhosale
Contributor
Contributor

I am facing the same problem. Account got linked for a day. I made $10 transfer to test it. $10 arrived in TW and then PayPal removed it with some error and now I am unable to add it again.

Login to Me Too

leatherking
Contributor
Contributor

When I try to enter my Transferwise account details I get the message saying:  ‘We are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again later.’. I have  repeated the action but to no avail. Transferwise suggested to phone Paypal to get my account confirmed. But  calling from abroad, I always get stuck in a loop never been able to talk to anybody and Paypal never answers emails, even those from customers. So all I can do is to spend money on my Paypal account to purchase goods from suppliers having a Paypal account

Login to Me Too

dpfls

Hi, sorry for the late message, I know it's been months but I tried to use the link you provided, and it asked for a 9-digit routing number (obviously), and I do have it. The problem is the form stopped after 7 digits so I wasn't able to type in the rest 2. Yet it still asked for 9 digit and refused to continue otherwise. Can you help? I would be very grateful. Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Celda
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know how to fix that. It let me type in a 9-digit routing number no problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.