Depop Payment Pending

Ethan101
Contributor
Contributor

Just sold an item on Depop and it's the first time I've done so on PayPal so although I thought I had taken all the neccesary verification steps, it says the payment is pending for up to 21 days. One of the ways to speed up the payment is to ship my item and provide tracking information however, Depop explicitly states that shipping your item before the funds are available voids my Depop seller protection and I am therefore not covered if anything goes wrong. What do I do here? as I really don't want to keep my customer waiting for 3 weeks. Furthermore, if I don't send the parcel for another 3 weeks, what information do PayPal gather that makes me verifiable? Since I do not intend on shipping my item before my funds are available, PayPal cannot obtain any information about the delivery and therefore waiting 21 days seems totally pointless. Would really appreciate help from someone who isn't an automated robot as I want to be covered if something goes wrong but don't want to keep my buyer waiting.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Ethan101
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply @kernowlass.

I've read through all that before and it doesn't answer my questions. Do I just need to wait 3 weeks to send my parcel whilst PayPal checks my account? and if so what information are they obtaining as I will not be sending the parcel until the funds are available to me? 

Please do not respond with a link as I can assure you I have read extensively through the Depop website, PayPal website, community, online chat and a phone call - all of which have proven unable to provide me with an answer.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ethan101 

You have been paid the second the funds hit your paypal account balance, any hold is between you and paypal and not your buyer.

If you don't send the item then the buyer will open a dispute most likely for non receipt of item, then your 'hold' will go on for longer OR you may get limited if you get enough disputes.

But hey, your call do what you want, the link should have explained it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ethan101
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

I understand that but as I have explained, Depop makes it explicitly clear that shipping my item whilst the funds are classed as "pending" voids my Depop seller protection and I am therefore not covered if something goes wrong. The reason I asked the question is because I am at a crossroads between keeping my buyer waiting excessively and not being covered myself in the unlikely scenario whereby something goes wrong with the postage. Do you mean to tell me that the only way my funds will be made available is to ship my package, subsequently voiding my Depop seller protection? If so, will I be covered by PayPal if I can provide proof of postage and tracking information? I hope you can understand my situation, as I want nothing more than to ship my package off straight away to my buyer, however, I also want assurance that if something occurs out of my control, I don't lose my money and my product.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ethan101 

Where does it say that?

https://depophelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360038474233-Depop-Payments-Seller-Protection

Also your funds are not 'pending' are they? If they were pending it would be an echeque and paypal tell you to wait until its cleared.

I am presuming you mean your funds are 'on hold' which is as i said between you and paypal as the buyer has PAID.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ethan101
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Its on this link: https://depophelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360009418014-First-time-seller-

I just sent it anyway and updated all the tracking information, it was delivered a few days ago but my account still says I'll get my money within 1 day of delivery. Do I still need to wait 3 weeks for the money to be available or has something went wrong here because the Hermes shipping shows it was delivered a few days ago?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.