possible fraudulent website/unrecognised payee on my account

Dianeg18
New Community Member

Hi all.  Just went to order something on a website I have never used before and it gave me the option to pay by paypal.  The paypal log in came up and I entered my login details.  

at this point there was a pop up saying that some "unusual activity" had been detected on my account and I needed to change my password.  Needless to say I smelt a rat and logged into paypal via my ebay account.  Once logged in I did change my password - better safe than sorry!

I looked at my account activity and there were no transactions that I did not recognise.  However, there was a name in the list of payers/payees that I did not recognise, nore could I find any transactions with this person; I also searched the name and nothing was found.

The combination of a possible fake pop up and the name that I do not recognise has rung serious alarm bells.  Anyone else encountered this?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Donna

Hello @Dianeg18,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

As your query is account specific, the best thing to do would be to contact our Customer Care department. You can do this by going to the ‘Contact Us’ link at the bottom of every PayPal page. You will then see what contact options are available to you. 

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.