Used Paypal Legal Name as a "user name" HELP!

Unknown_Filmer
Contributor
Contributor

I created my pay-pal account so when someone wanted to donate to me on pay-pal it said "donate to Unknown Filmer" not my real name. now that I have money in my account, how do i remove it since i can't confirm my identity. How should I proceed with my issue? I can't do a name change because: 1) I created a new paypal with my real name so this doesn't happen again. 2) I don't have any government documents stating I have changed my name from "Unknown Filmer" to my real name.

Thanks,

Josh

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Unknown_Filmer

If you can't transfer it then all I can suggest is that you phone customer services and see if they will send it to a charity or something for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Unknown_Filmer

So you opened a legal financial money account with a fake name and now wonder why you are having problems  Smiley Surprised

As you would never be able to verify that account OR withdraw funds to a bank account in that name you have more than likely lost your money.

The only thing I can think of is that you 'send' the money using the friends / family option to your new email address linked to your new Paypal account and hope it transfers ok.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Unknown_Filmer
Contributor
Contributor
Is there anyway to remove the money (not transferring, just deleting it)? I just want to get rid of it so I can close my account. The money we are talking about is less than $5.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Unknown_Filmer

If you can't transfer it then all I can suggest is that you phone customer services and see if they will send it to a charity or something for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Unknown_Filmer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help. It's actually kinda scary how pay-pal could care less about your identity until you reach this point. They should have it to where you need to confirm your identity when you create the account.

This was stupid of me to do this but i'm sure i'm not the first nor will I be the last.  

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hello, Unknown_Filmer. kernowlass is correct about creating a PayPal account with a fake name, and you are correct in pointing out PayPal should have better messaging letting customers know using a fake name is not acceptable. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. In PayPal's defense, the number of valid names in the world that might look fake to a computer algorithm is one of the reasons there's not more of an effort to address this during the sign-up process.

To address your main concern, however, there are two possibilities that might help you transfer any money out of your account so you can close it. If there are sufficient funds in the balance, you can refund the payment(s) or you might be able to send a payment to a new account (one that reflects your legal name) using a Friends and Family payment. If neither of those options is possible, please contact PayPal's Customer Service by phone, via Facebook or Twitter and ask for help reversing the payments or moving the money to a new account.

If you have to contact Customer Service and ask to have money moved to a new account, make sure the new account is up and running, and be up front with the situation saying you created an account incorrectly and you want to close it as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael
PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Unknown_Filmer
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, thanks for the information. Do you have their phone number?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michelle

Hi @Unknown_Filmer!

That's a great question. Because we are a global company with dedicated support for multiple concerns, please follow the Help & Contact link at the bottom of the page and choose "Call Us." This will give you the best number for you available in your location. 

I hope this helps, and thank you!

Michelle

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.