Help! My paypal account (with 2FA) password changed without my knowledge

heybinsu
Contributor
Contributor

I just woke up and get an email said that my password just changed a few hours ago. So I checked on my desktop to be sure and my password does changed. Just to be safe I changed it again with different password, but my main confusion is because I already activated 2FA on my google authenticator.

Is it still possible to hack a paypal account even with 2FA?

For the record, a few weeks ago I also got unauthorized transaction using my account, already resolved it and got my money back. I changed my password and add 2FA right after. Does that also linked to this problem?

Any information would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@heybinsu 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

heybinsu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for your response!

I've checked the email,

- It starts with "Hello, (my full name)"

- No suspicious link, just a "contact us" that linked directly to the paypal CS

- The sender email address is legit from paypal support 

It's definitely not a spoof, so I'm still confused why my password just changed itself at 3 am.

Just an update, so far nothing suspicious happened, my balance is still the same as usual.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.