Sold an item to someone who's account I believe was hacked and received a claim asking for a refund

thomasw1
New Community Member

Hi, I had an item I listed on Depop and was approached by an account offering to buy the item by doing the transaction through Paypal directly. The transaction happened but about an hour later i received a claim for the transaction saying they wanted a refund. I went back to Depop to message the account and they told me they didn't want a refund, claiming that there must be a problem and to refund it so they could resend the money i told them i wouldn't do that and for them to just cancel the dispute. The morning after i got messages off the same account now claiming that they had there Depop and Paypal hacked and they never actually wanted the item and it was a hacker trying to buy it. After some exchanged messages they agreed to message me back if they had any updates on the hacked account situation. A day later i received messages again, however it was just a list of threats from the 'hacker' who i assume must have got access to the account again. The last thing to happen is the claim got updated and now the claim states i haven't shipped the item, which obviously of course i haven't because of how sketchy everything is. I'm actually very confused as to what has actually really happened and this is all a bit long for just a simple question which is should i just give a refund and forget about it and if i do this is there anymore action they can try take against me to scam me out of my money or should i fight the case and give the evidence of the Depop messages i have?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@thomasw1 

Once you issue refund from within the original transaction or within the dispute, the case is closed. Nothing else should happen regarding the money. Why fight it? Do you think you should be able to keep the money and possession of the item too, because of the messages you received? The money is not your money if it is being disputed. Its best you refund the money. You will lose because you do not have proof of delivery. The messages shouldn't entitle you to the money, should be for delivery of goods. If by chance you do win, a credit card chargeback can be filed and you will be in dispute of the amount, plus a chargeback fee.

Monitor your device and accounts more carefully one once this is over.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.