Scam purchase through eBay

Alex_w315
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've issued a refund on an item that was purchased on a hacked ebay account. The 'buyer' tried to get me to send the item to a different address than that stated on their account. Luckily, i'd seen news about this scam recently and contacted ebay to make tham aware of my suspicions.

Later today, as i suspected, PayPal sent me an email saying that the account owner had opened a dispute because they had not purchased this item. I cooperated with the open case and refunded the amount back to the buyer immediately. However... Paypal has left the charges on my account for the initial transaction (the funds never left my PayPal account - they were on hold).

Help - this can't be right? i surely have to get these charges back given that i had no choice but to refund the payment to the poor, hacked ebay seller... Should i get these charges credited automatically, or do i need to call PayPal or ebay to resolve this?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alex_w315 

What charges? The PayPal fee? You'll have to contact customer service about that then, as "the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned":

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (UK): https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK

Twitter (UK): @paypalUK 

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Alex_w315
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker Thanks, i'll give them a call tomorrow. Can't see how they can uphold that against a scammed ebay purchase though - the purchase was made illegitimately and I literally have no choice but to refund the money.

Will update once i've spoken to them.

Thanks again.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alex_w315 

I have a feeling that your transaction might not be eligible because it is not a "Commercial Transaction Payment" insofar that it is not a basic authorization & capture (A2C) transaction.

During a traditional sale, authorization and capture occurs at the same time as the sale which is probably what eBay has set up. Because once buyer makes a payment, you automatically receive payment immediately generally. There's no explicit authorization and capture call to separate the payment authorization from the capture of the authorized payment

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Alex_w315
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just an update on this to say PayPal sorted with minimal fuss. Full refund on the same day as i rang and reported it.

Merry Christmas

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.