Nervous seller - worried about getting scammed on Facebook Marketplace

drlaurie
Contributor
Contributor

I am selling a diamond wedding ring set on Facebook marketplace.  I am worried about being scammed.  If I receive payment from PayPal, send the ring how can I assure they won't dispute the claim, send back a different ring and get refunded the money?  I have someone interested in the ring and do not live locally.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@drlaurie 

Then don't sell what you can't afford to lose and I am not trying to be funny. There are no assurances that will prevent or keep the buyer from filing a dispute if they do not receive item, item is significantly not as described, or unauthorized transaction. There are risks to selling online no matter what. Sellers are particularly not protected on Significantly Not as Described disputes/chargebacks/reversals. If the buyer didn't clearly let on in the dispute that its a buyer's remorse reason for the dispute/refund, PayPal will force you to accept a return and refund customer.

Otherwise be adamant on cash n' carry terms if you are afraid of disputes.

There are requirements you can meet to be covered under seller protection, such as having proof of delivery, signature confirmation for transactions over $750 USD or equivalent, proof of shipment or delivery (for Unauthorized transactions only).

Please see seller protection program terms for more details:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@drlaurie 

Then don't sell what you can't afford to lose and I am not trying to be funny. There are no assurances that will prevent or keep the buyer from filing a dispute if they do not receive item, item is significantly not as described, or unauthorized transaction. There are risks to selling online no matter what. Sellers are particularly not protected on Significantly Not as Described disputes/chargebacks/reversals. If the buyer didn't clearly let on in the dispute that its a buyer's remorse reason for the dispute/refund, PayPal will force you to accept a return and refund customer.

Otherwise be adamant on cash n' carry terms if you are afraid of disputes.

There are requirements you can meet to be covered under seller protection, such as having proof of delivery, signature confirmation for transactions over $750 USD or equivalent, proof of shipment or delivery (for Unauthorized transactions only).

Please see seller protection program terms for more details:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

drlaurie
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to determine if the buyer has been involved with disputes in the past?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.