First time Selling

GAEDANTO

I am new to Ebay and am selling my laptop and I have already gotten offers and there is one that I have decided to sell to. He told me to send my paypal email and the link to the ebay listing i created. I asked why not just use ebay and he said he is using a business account. The feedback on his account as a buyer look good but also sketchy. I recieved an email saying he paid and it is on hold till i send the shipping number but i have a feeling the email was faked because i have not seen the transaction in my paypal as "temp hold" or anything like that. I was wondering if that was normal and to trust what this guy is saying.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GAEDANTO 

Scammers ask for name and email address on your PayPal account so they can write and send spoof PayPal payment emails to you, to try to trick you into shipping without actually receiving payment saying its "on hold" or "Pending" so you'd sit there waiting and waiting and have already shipped it, provided tracking number like, duh, waiting for payment. That's the scam.

Yes, when you use PayPal shipping, in which you actually need a record of payment in your PayPal account to do, PayPal automatically uploads the tracking number to the transaction or you can add it manually if you bought the postage at the PO.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GAEDANTO 

Its a scam.  Your instincts serves you well.

PayPal does not hold/hide your money asking for tracking number via email. If payment was really sent, there'd be a record of payment in your PayPal even if payment is subject to a hold. Tracking numbers are submitted through original transaction found in your PayPal account only, for your protection.

Login to Me Too

GAEDANTO

That is what I have seen all over that is should say something in Payal which it hasnt. He is claiming it is because he hasnt confirmed anything yet. A big thing that gave it away was he asked for my name which is in the email that was sent which it just clicked for me. So the tracking number is sent through paypal? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GAEDANTO 

Scammers ask for name and email address on your PayPal account so they can write and send spoof PayPal payment emails to you, to try to trick you into shipping without actually receiving payment saying its "on hold" or "Pending" so you'd sit there waiting and waiting and have already shipped it, provided tracking number like, duh, waiting for payment. That's the scam.

Yes, when you use PayPal shipping, in which you actually need a record of payment in your PayPal account to do, PayPal automatically uploads the tracking number to the transaction or you can add it manually if you bought the postage at the PO.

Login to Me Too

GAEDANTO

Yeah I figured but since its my first time doesnt hurt to check. Thank you very much!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.