Chargeback

steady1967
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I recently sold an item through Facebook Market place. The buyer paid as friends/family but not at my request. The buyer recieved the item but said it was damaged. He immediately wanted a refund and wasn't interested in a resolution and he wouldn't give me time to get back home to see what i could do (i work away from home) He then opened a case with paypal as an unauthorised transaction which paypal dismissed. He has now gone to his bank/credit card supplier and claimed a chargeback. I have the full chatlog on messenger which i have sent to paypal proving that i didn't ask to be paid that way and also that it was him who made the payment. I have just had an email from paypal saying the full amount plus a £14 charge debited from my account and that i need to transfer money into my paypal account as they won't cover it. It seems that i have no protection in this situation and because his bank or whatever are claiming from paypal they won't contact me so i feel my voice won't be heard. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@steady1967 

All the info you provided to PayPal in response to the chargeback is your voice. It just wasn't good enough or an appropriate defense. The claim is not about how the buyer paid but that they received damaged goods and want a refund. The buyer likely filed a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) chargeback and PayPal does not cover SNADs; whether as PayPal dispute or credit card chargebacks or bank reversals. Sellers are responsible for damaged goods.

Zero out your PayPal balance. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

steady1967
Contributor
Contributor

I sent the full conversation i had with the buyer and all the photos and videos i sent him at his request. He said it was missing the eject button for the cd player but the pics prior to me packing the item clearly show it was intact. He even told me he had taken it apart to remove his cd. How can they rule in his favour? I find this very frustrating as i feel i've been hung out to dry

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.