Chargeback dispute

JB2468
Contributor
Contributor

Good evening,

Could someone please help or advice on a fraudulent claim that someone  has carried out against me.

Back in December I advertised a coat on eBay that did not sell, I was then contacted by a buyer offering to purchase the coat  outside of eBay and to pay me direct via PayPal.

I agreed to this and took a personal payment from him for a total of £350 and posted the item the next day via post office tracked parcel service.

Then whilst I was away on holiday abroad for Easter I received an email from PayPal saying that I had a chargeback case opened against me for non receivership of purchased goods, as this was 3 months later and I was away I automatically thought this was a scam but I contacted PayPal and they confirmed that this was a genuine claim and as the coat had been purchased through a personal payment I was not protected under any seller protection and they had already given the money back but they would appeal if I provided evidence of the item being sent and received.

When I returned from holiday I managed to find the post office receipt which has a tracking number proving the item was received and signed for.

I have contacted the post office and as it is so long after the item has been sent they can not do anything other than show the item was signed for and delivered, I have now received and email stating the credit card issuer has decided that the chargeback is in favour of the buyer and PayPal will not dispute the transaction any further even though I have provided the required documentation.

They have suggested I contact the buyer direct but he is obviously ignoring my emails.

Could you please advice me what to do next as I am now having to pay off a negative PayPal balance and can not believe I just have to accept this as a final outcome as it is obviously a scam.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JB2468

Its actually against Paypal rules to accept gift payments when you sell and can lead to your Paypal account being limited.

Also a chargeback is not actually a paypal dispute (if it was the buyer would have no buyer protection for gift payments), its done via the buyers credit card company and they make all the decisions, if they find in favour of the buyer then you would lose your funds as you would have no seller protection because you accepted a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JB2468

Its actually against Paypal rules to accept gift payments when you sell and can lead to your Paypal account being limited.

Also a chargeback is not actually a paypal dispute (if it was the buyer would have no buyer protection for gift payments), its done via the buyers credit card company and they make all the decisions, if they find in favour of the buyer then you would lose your funds as you would have no seller protection because you accepted a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JB2468
Contributor
Contributor

yes i understand all that now but as i cannot contact the credit card company direct as i dont have the details and can not obtain them i  have proven the item was sent and signed for with a tracking number how can it still go against me?.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JB2468

You were probably too late in providing the info and the card company had already made their decision.

If you had sold using good / services then you would have been covered by seller protection and Paypal would have reimbursed you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JB2468
Contributor
Contributor

So the buyer claims 3 months later that an item has not been sent and this is acceptable ? i then provide tracking details as required when i return from holiday making sure paypal are aware i am away and it will be dealt with straight away when i return, which i then do and this is not within an appropriate time scale?

And yes i fully understand now about buyer and seller protection policy's which i was un aware of before but surely if the evidence is provided PayPal can do more to help.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JB2468

They didn't file for non receipt as it was not a Paypal dispute.

They filed a 'chargeback' for whatever reason with their c.c. company.

Sorry but Paypal and the card company do not put everything on hold everytime someone goes on holiday.

With 230 million Paypal accounts worldwide that would be impossible for every dispute.

Paypal are not going to do anymore to help because as I keep saying it has nothing to do with them, the dispute was raised with the credit card issuer and they make ALL decisions, Paypal has to go with their verdict.

BUT they asked for tracking info etc to reimburse you under seller protection but then it twigged you had negated that as it was a 'gift' payment so they were no obligated to refund you   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JB2468
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i understand they are not obliged to re inburse me but do you think they would accept that result if they did have to re inburse me?

I dont think so 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JB2468

Yes because you would have been covered by seller protection.

I have been reimbursed for an unauthorised transaction because i met seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Gumardee
Contributor
Contributor

Go to the police or other authorities.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.