“This type of phone number isn’t supported”

aws3939
Contributor
Contributor

I’m trying to link a bank account to my PayPal. I had to update my phone number (totally forgot and it was an old number that’s no longer in service). The new phone number I updated it to doesn’t show up when it gets to the part where it asks you to confirm your phone number, however it gives an option to add a number. I’ve tried multiple numbers but it gives me the same error every time “this type of phone number isn’t supported.” I’ve tried searching but I can’t find anyone besides one person who had the same error. It’s a real/normal phone number so I’m not sure what the issue is. I assume it has something to do with me just updating my number, however I’m not sure why it gives an option to add a new number to confirm my identity if it doesn’t work. 

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

SUMMER2022
I agree to this comment 100
Login to Me Too

Having this issue as well. Havent had the number in well over a year, have both numbers on file and trying to link a bank account. Funny thing is, it let me add the number to my PayPal account but when I try to verify it through the method it says it's unsupported and it will only let me use the old inactive number. It rven lets me verify it through the bank *through the Paypal app* but wont accept it through the second step??? I switched from StraightTalk to USCellular btw, no TMobile/Sprint involved. I've had my PP since 2016. What the **bleep**, guys???

Login to Me Too

applysci
Contributor
Contributor

Not only do I have this issue but I have had it for a year. I have 2 phones. tried either, both and different order.

I honestly think they dont resolve it because paypal now sees coin-base as a competitor.

the solution has been and always will be, not using paypal for coinbase.

Paypal, you still only sell 4 coins  and IF I  DONT HAVE THE WALLET KEYS, ITS NOT REAL CRYPTO.

Its mid-october 2021, you said this fake crypto nonsense was coming to an end a year ago and you still only offer 4 (imaginary)  coins.

you are not competing with coinbase, you're rubbing elbows with other make-beleive coin sellers like sofi and robinhood.

id say fix the phone issue but......it wont happen and i refuse to call again

Login to Me Too

Beep_boop_beep
Contributor
Contributor
I think i figured it out....on the line where you type your number remove the +1(xxx)xxx-xxx.....so it should look like (xxx)xxx-xxxx
Login to Me Too

rpsabq1

Obviously they don't want us setting up direct deposit.   

Login to Me Too

Catcatcat2021
New Community Member
I forgot my password made a new one and to verify I have a old number. When I tried adding my new one it says the same thing. That it isn’t supported. Idk what to do.
Login to Me Too

Beep_boop_beep
Contributor
Contributor

I think i figured it out....on the line where you type your number remove the +1(xxx)xxx-xxx.....so it should look like (xxx)xxx-xxxx. And if that doesn't work go to your browser settings and clear EVERYTHING cookies,cached images, history, EVERYTHING!! Then close the app Completely, wait 2mins then try again....hope this helps🙂🙂@Catcatcat2021

Login to Me Too

JPHelp
Contributor
Contributor
@Beep_boop_beep How do you delete the +1 if it's given by the browser or App?
Login to Me Too

Beep_boop_beep
Contributor
Contributor

I would suggest using your browser....if the number isn't already prefilled, add it, +1(xxx)xxx-xxxx then press and hold until the "copy, cut, select all" box appears and select all +1(xxx)xxx-xxxx. Then delete it, the box should be empty. Then just put your number in (xxx)xxx-xxxx. If it doesn't work try putting your browser in desktop mode. Also the easiest way to reach me if you need more help <removed>. I'm in the US. Just text first plz. @JPHelp

Login to Me Too

ajonkers
Contributor
Contributor

Leaving this for future reference in case anyone else stumbles upon this cryptic issue.

Had this same issue on a standard T-Mobile cell number and a new PayPal account a night after opening it; wasn't able to get into my account at all. The web client gave me this error for both SMS and phone call verification (the only two options which were available) while the iOS app first left me in a loading loop until I reinstalled the app entirely, which then caused it to instantly prompt to call support. Password resets went through, but didn't bypass the verification and the Twitter support rep referred me to calling support as well. The only solution I found was to do just that; seems like the rep had to override verification on their end after I was able to prove that I could get verification codes through the problematic number (let alone calling them from it) just fine. Strange stuff.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.