Paypal forcing me to have a cellphone to access my account?

DiceandPaper
Contributor
Contributor

I do not own a cell phone, nor do i wish to. I have a land line phone. I use to be able to click pass adding a mobile number to access my account. But now I am locked out unless i enter a phone number. I tried to enter my land line number, and it doesnt support it.

SOOoooo em i to believe im no longer allowed access or to have an account because i choose not to do the cell phone thing? Whats next i need to own a game console too? drive a certain car?

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

kfbstudio

I tried to enter my landline number, and the box turned red and said "invalid number", no other option. I called PayPal twice yesterday, and confirmed who I am, even noting that they already had my landline number which they confirmed, neither time was helpful. The second time, after giving me a lot of instructions on how to delete my browsing history, they said they would call me back in "30 minutes to see if I had solved the problem". They never called back, and even after following their instructions, I still cannot access my account. I will continue to call-- and wait due to" large volume of calls"- today. I think their "large volume of calls " are unsatisfied customers who cannot access their accounts

Login to Me Too

Bronek2
Contributor
Contributor

Relax. The question was written by a socially promoted intern programmer. Just type in the phone number next to you. The 4 digits will appear on the screen, shortly the phone will ring and ask for this code. Enter the code and you are in. Next time you log in, they will allow changing the phone number. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DiceandPaper 

Owning a game console or car would not help with security of your paypal account which a mobile phone does.

Can't you just get a cheap pay as you go phone to use just for texts? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GeriAnn
Contributor
Contributor

To the person who suggested getting a cheap cellphone to use just for texts - you are missing the point.  There should be a way to get a code sent via message to your landline phone without being forced to purchase even a "cheap" cellphone.  There USED to be a way to do that, but they choose not to do it that way anymore, because they are assuming that EVERYONE has a cellphone.  And "cheap" is a relative term.  Some people live paycheck to paycheck and even a "cheap" cellphone is out of their budget.  Especially elderly people on a fixed income.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GeriAnn 

Well it is the point.

The fact is that paypal have said you can no longer use paypal without a mobile phone.

So saying it 'shouldn't be like that' does not help anything as it is like that, like it or not.

So getting a cheap PAYG phone is an option for folks to consider.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.