Massive security issue using WhatsApp

Mikexxx
Contributor
Contributor

Some time ago I was caught by a trojan that gave access to my desktop PC. I normally consider myself pretty savvy when it comes to security but complacency comes before a fall.

In this case I used an app so I could send and receive texts from my desktop which was very handy for 2 factor authentication. I learnt the hard way that having access to a browser with stored passwords together with access to received texts was a recipe for disaster. I only knew there was an issue when I saw texts with requested security codes.

Since then I have removed access to phone texts on my desktop. I want there to be 2 devices for 2-factor authentication.

I have used a web browser to access WhatsApp messages for years and this is my go to platform for sending messages and photos to friends etc. I simply don't use it, nor do I want to use it for 2-factor authentication.

Today I feel back to square 1 when PayPal said I could receive a security code via WhatsApp. How do I stop this option?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.