I need help, I lost my phone back in October 2023 and fraudulent activity took place!

Wezton
Contributor
Contributor

I need help, I lost my phone back in October 2023 or at least i thought i did until a few days later i noticed money being transferred from my back account and items purchased using my paypal credit. Passwords and recovery phone numbers were changed on all sorts of different accounts i had on my phone including paypal, ebay, bank, email and many others. The problem i have now is that paypal does not want to recognise this transaction as fraudulent having tried numerous times. My bank account refunded my money within a couple of weeks but paypal still wont accept it as fraud. I have tried calling and speaking but i think the language barrier is causing an issue as when i explain my problem it doesn't seem to be understood. I have disputed the transaction via the paypal website also but i think because my phone was used to authorise they dont find it fraudulent. I no longer have access to this mobile phone. I contacted ebay who which told me they understood the transaction was fraudulent and it had been flagged up. I have an email from them stating this dated back in October. The items that were ordered were sent to a Argos in Sainsburys store in a different city to where i live. My ebay still states they are ready for collection as i think i managed to gain access to my account before they could get a code needed to pick them up. What else can i do? It has been reported to action fraud. I have called paypal numerous times over the past months.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wezton 

Don't think paypal cover you if the fraud was caused by something they thought was your responsibility.

You lost the phone and presumably didn't have much security on it to stop them accessing your apps which again should have a password or biometrics on them?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.