E-mail from PayPal every time I log in.

Iddy3
Contributor
Contributor

Why, whenever I login to PayPal, do I get an e-mail advising 'We noticed a new device login' when I only log in on my own desk-top computer?

Also, why does it show middlesbrough mdb uk? [A new device logged in to your PayPal account, xxxx@hotmail - middlesbrough mdb uk - date & time]

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

mrsmorris
Contributor
Contributor

I have just asked the question again - fed up with being told my location which is far from correct and a new device when iPhone ad computer are trusted.  Start to think one is being hacked when you read these. Seems to happen after updating iPhone and Windows.....

Login to Me Too

SR666
Contributor
Contributor
I'm really fed up with this. Not only did I get this nonsense about a mythical new device yet again, but doing my last payment I had to type in TWO separate text codes that were sent to me!!! I'm all for security but this is madness. And while typing this my verification expired twice and I had to click on pictures of bloody motorbikes or whatever again!!!
Login to Me Too

RadioMan79
Contributor
Contributor

I get this message most of the time.

I use the sme computer and no others to access Paypal, but do use mobile broadband (4G) to access the internet as landline is useless.

Wonder if that could be the problem for me, i.e. my location seems to change due to the 4G network.

Login to Me Too

WhiteBuffal0
Contributor
Contributor

Its a pain in the butt...  New device - No, neither my iPhone or my PC.  Another issue, when logging in with payment to a company, it asks how they can notify you with a security number.  I click on "through PayPal app"  says to open the App and it will give a prompt.  It never does, so I have to request through a text, every time! 

Login to Me Too

WhiteBuffal0
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to add that it also says device operates on Win 10 - wrong again it's Win 11 and always states London, whereas I'm in West Sussex...

Login to Me Too

Temp20230914a
Contributor
Contributor

This is annoying, that Paypal's security can not actually tell the same device is being used.  Paypal should be embarrassed that this has been happening for 2 years and still not fixed.  If Paypal security can not tell that the same device is being used, then probably also could not tell that a device is being spoofed.  It is sad to say, but this is the level of antiquated technology that I now expect from Paypal, a pathetically managed company that has not evolved.  Elon is about to "X" Paypal off the map when X becomes the new payment standard.  Paypal has become like that annoying cousin you see at Thanksgiving dinner but you can't get rid of him.  Sometimes we have no other choice but to use Paypal.  But they will either need to get their stuff together or they will be disrupted and displaced.  So seriously Paypal, what would it take for you to actually read your customers' complaints and resolve this annoying security glitch?  Probably nothing.  Which is also why 10 years from now nobody will be using this pathetic platform.

Login to Me Too

Cosmosingie88
Contributor
Contributor
I just received the same email that everybody here received today. A different login device in a different city, same country. I immediately changed my password thinking I was hacked. And now I found this topic through a quick search. Cannot believe its been happening to users for 2 years now. I have used paypal for many years and never had this email before. I am using my mobile phone btw with wifi. I am not using any VPN either. Paypal do something about it please.
Login to Me Too

SGM12
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got fed up and will comment on the same issue. I only use the same PC at home, yet I keep getting those emails saying "Login from a new device" which is obviously false. Moreover, I get this SMS security code at random times, and again on the same PC at home.

Why can't PayPal tell the difference between one and the same PC and a new/unknown PC/device?
I have the same IP and device, also the same browser, duh!

Login to Me Too

Cheesey

Captains New Log stardate 2024.

This new device log in thing seems to be happening to a lot of people, many of my friends included. It is to say the least seriously annoying. I have spoken to paypal on the phone twice regarding this and this is what they said after I told them I have been using the same device and that device only to log in for the last 14 years. I log in from the same location every time and never log in while on the move or from a mobile device. 

The message refers to where my internet provider connects. Really? How the hell am I supposed to know that  and why send me a message asking if it is me??? I have not had a reply. If where my internet provider connects is causing security concerns surely paypal shouldn't you be addressing these concerns to Vodaphone and not me? (or whoever else other people use) To start with I have been changing my password every time I get this message because it is clearly not me. It is a tad annoying to say the least. It is starting to look like it just isn't safe to be engaging in internet purchasing any more. I have suspended all internet transactions until I get assurance from somebody the internet is not just a trawling ground for unsuspecting punters! 

Login to Me Too

sandibyrne
Contributor
Contributor

No. That does not explain it at all! Sorry. I  get these messages too.  My 'other' device logging in with my laptop is Londonlnd. I am nowhere near Ldn (abbreviation for London, I Googled) and so who are these Ldn people?  Why are they there at all? Are you saying that is my service provider - located in London perhaps - who is logging in with me in my ALWAYS the same location?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.