E-mail from PayPal every time I log in.

Iddy3
Contributor
Contributor

Why, whenever I login to PayPal, do I get an e-mail advising 'We noticed a new device login' when I only log in on my own desk-top computer?

Also, why does it show middlesbrough mdb uk? [A new device logged in to your PayPal account, xxxx@hotmail - middlesbrough mdb uk - date & time]

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

mckendrick
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. 

"Normally, you should be able to minimize these kind of notifications by logging in from a trusted device"...     is why it's so weird.    

I only *ever* log in to PayPal from one single device, my PC,  I never log in from any other device.  

My PC *is* my trusted device.

It's pretty much bomb-proof, too!

Login to Me Too

GillBi
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in exactly the same situation and it's driving me mad. I've had this account for years and have (for the last 5 or 6 years) only used my PC which is sitting on my desk and doesn't go anywhere.
It's not a new device as you tell me every time and thus mean I get sent a text ever time to log in although 2 factor log in is disabled. I can't afford to go through all this rigmarole when I just want to check quickly to see if a payment has arrived.
Please can someone look into this and fix it.

Login to Me Too

temp20221216b
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have been having the same problem for months and it even comes up with a location of London I only ever use my desktop computer which has been sat on the same desk for 20+ years in the Isle of Wight.

It is more anoying than anything, I don't mind the Text confirmation needed to verify who I am that is quite a nice sort of 'failsafe' it is the email nearly every time I use Paypal telling me it is a different computer in a different place.

I have phoned a couple of times and been assured it won't happen again ha-ha, next time I use Paypal exactly the same thing.

WHY has any body found a reason for this?  

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello everyone,

I certainly understand how concerning this can be for you. It's possible that you're receiving the notifications about the new device login because of the use of VPN or proxy. Please make sure you are logging from a secure location and avoid using any VPN’s or Proxy Servers. 

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

GillBi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for responding ... however I don't use a VPN or proxy. 
I use one PC that sits on my desk and is only accessed by me. It has a wired connection to my router so has no wifi that could be interfered with. 
I don't even use my phone to access Paypal.
And it's still happening. It happened again yesterday when I wanted to check quickly if a payment in had arrived.
It's a bug and it would be lovely if it could be fixed soon.

Login to Me Too

Noboots
Contributor
Contributor
Ditto...I have used the same computer also for many years. This is so frustrating, please sort it out ASAP.
Login to Me Too

temp20221216b
Contributor
Contributor

I only ever use my desk top PC with a hard wired router that hasn't physically moved for approx 17 / 18 years, also I never use my phone or anything else  for any Paypal transactions at all.

I would say that probably 90% of my transactions are quite regular and with only one company, and still receiving the same email message nearly every time.  With the additional message of  

• You're good to go! We'll remember this device so you can pay quicker with your PayPal account. 
  •  

Obviously not happening!      This is all getting a bit tiresome and very soon will find alternative means if this issue cannot be  solved.

Paypal, please sort this issue.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @mckendrick, @temp20221216b, @Nixtrix, @GillBi, and @Noboots,

Thank you all for your posts. I'm sorry that you've experienced the frustration of receiving an email when you log in. 

The information that @PayPal_Bindu gave is one possibility in situations like these, but there are other possibilities as well. If you're using an incognito window, or you cleared your cookies and cache between logins, or if you have cookies turned off for the PayPal site in your browser, this may also affect how PayPal interprets your login.

Failing any of the above, you're certainly correct that it could potentially be a bug of some kind. Usually however, a situation like this is due to a setting on the customer's end, and ruling those things out is what always has to happen first. If you've checked all of the above and also rebooted your computer recently, you may wish to contact Customer Service for additional troubleshooting. If the problem cannot be determined at that time, a representative can open a request to have technicians look into the situation. We'd definitely want to investigate, especially if it's on our side and other people are having the same issue, and we can only do that if people having an unresolved issue contact Customer Service to give us the chance to see what's happening on an account-by-account basis.

I hope this can be resolved quickly for all of you!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Cheesey

Again I am grateful for replies from you at paypal. Some of us are not that savvy with the ins and outs of internet security, fair play to all of you that are. Again I appeal to you for a much broader level of advice and assurance for the sake of those who trust paypal and at the moment seem to be having that trust shaken. To be advised to complain to my service provider is not advice I would have expected. I, like many people who have commented here, only log in from the same location and do not use mobile devices for such purposes because I am sure most of us are very wary and have limited ability to trust doing so from a mobile device.  To be expected to be able to monitor and understand these worrying mutli loctional log ins even with the explanations and comments you have offered do not take away that element of doubt. The very reason I have almost exclusively opted for the pay with Paypal option is because of the belief there need be no doubt. I have reason to be wary because I have been hacked couple of times. My bank have been outstanding in dealing with these issues that amounted to potential significant losses. They offered me plenty of good advice which I took on board. Please help those with limited technical knowledge who don't hesitate to click that pay with paypal button every time they purchase on line. We believe we are safe and we don't need to be virtual rocket scientists to keep that default trust option  alive. It is the hinge pin of your organisation, step up to it and keep us clicking that button!

Login to Me Too

RichardJB1
New Community Member

Me too , we do use two or three different laptops , usually in our house, on our home network but paypal often sends the same message as has been described above, and usually says that the log on was in Hatfield Hertfordshire, which is miles away from us. ( but its always directly after we logged in and went through two step verification) - its a bug  , Paypal please fix it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.