Why this constant need for verification?

Monsterpaint
Contributor
Contributor

A few months ago I started getting requests for verification every time I logged into my business account. Then I started getting them every time I logged into my personal account. Now I get them in addition every time I make a purchase on either account!

I always use the same PC on the same IP on the same non-encrypted network using the same ISP on the same modem, I have 2-step authentication disabled, and because I don't get good mobile reception it's common that I can't log in or make a purchase because I never receive the code.

Why have an option for 2-step verification if 2-step verification is forced upon you anyway?

All the information I can gather says it's to do with 'EU laws'. First, that is nonsense, but even if were true, have Paypal not heard that the UK isn't in the EU?!

Does anyone know how to fix it so Paypal actually works like every other financial site I have access to - i.e. easily and without these absurd verification codes? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Monsterpaint 

UK is in Europe and has accepted these banking and financial institution regulations even though not in the EU anymore.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/psd2-new

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Monsterpaint
Contributor
Contributor

My understanding is the regulations only apply to the EU and countries in the European Economic Area, and the UK isn't in either; thus, the UK government recommend that banks provide the option but do not mandate it is implemented. After all, if 2-step auth were mandatory we'd have it on all financial logins. I have several other accounts with banks and building societies and Paypal is the only one that requires 2-step.

Or maybe not. Out of desperation I deleted my Paypal cookies and tried again. I logged in, and again it came up with 2-step authentication, but now, below that, it has an option to Skip it. So I skipped it, and got straight in.

In my Paypal account it even has an option for 2-step, and I have it as OFF (which kind of suggests that Paypal does not deem it mandatory at all). There's no accounting for this, it's nuts.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.