Unable to reset password or call support

Quickman
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, my friend sent me some money to an old account under a different email and for a whole week I have been unable to access the account. I have called support twice already, once to set a new phone number to the account and the second time trying again to get in after the first time did nothing. I explained that I would always get an "we're sorry, we can't confirm its you" message when I clicked "forgotten password", and all support told me to do was wait 72 hours before trying again. So I waited the entire weekend with no money, tried again just now after 72 hours (I made sure not to try it early) and got the same message. The worst part is now I can't call again because I'm out of credit and literally can't access the money in my account to get more. What am I supposed to do at this point? Is there an option to refund the money back to the friend who sent it to me as a gift so I can tell them to send it to my new account, or... Anything?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Quickman 

You need to contact your friend and ask them to see what it says in their paypal accounts either:
1. Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.
2. Pending / Unclaimed.
3 Completed.

If its:
Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.

Ask them to cancel the payment but tell them that it will take a few days to go back to their funding source. Then get them to use the "send money" > Goods/Services option and pay to your correct email address. They may not want to do this and so you could then cancel the transaction. OR you can send them a money request.

Pending / Unclaimed.

If there is no cancel option then the buyer will get their money back automatically 30 days after paying.
Again they may not want to pay you again until they get their money back so you may need to cancel the transaction for them.

Completed.....also state how your friend sent the funds ie friends/family or goods/services.

If its completed then come back for more advice.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ1467

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Quickman
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, it's completed and friends/family. I can't do anything from my end and they personally cannot dispute it because it's not a business payment.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Quickman 

Is the other account closed? If so then 'add' the old email address to your present paypal account and verify it as you can have up to 8 email addresses on the x1 paypal account.

Failing that if your friend funded the payment to you via a credit card then see if her card issuer will do a chargeback for her.

Or lastly keep trying to get hold of customer services and request help to access that account.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

OR

If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Light96
New Community Member
How to message when unable to login? Seems impossible 😭
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Light96 

Did you bother to read down to my last paragraph then?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.