US account but not an US citizen

HeidaOlafs
Contributor
Contributor

I opened an Paypal account in 2008 to be able to buy from American stores that don't send to Iceland. I linked my credit card to the account and it worked fine for many years. But recently I received money to the account and now it is stuck there because I need to put in US tin number og Tax information. When I try to send the money to someone, Paypal asks me to put in my phonenumber, but when I do they say it is not supported (probably because it is an Icelandic one). Does anyone know how I can get my money back?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HeidaOlafs 

Paypal is country specific so you have to open a paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.
Its against paypal rules to use another countries paypal account and you would never be able to receive and withdraw funds if you are not in the country of the account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HeidaOlafs
Contributor
Contributor

Actually I was able to receive funds this way, and now it sits stuck with Paypal. That is the problem, otherwise I would just close the account, but I can't do that neither, because there is funds in there... this is catch 22 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HeidaOlafs 

Yep you may be able to receive them but you would not be able to use or withdraw them as you are supposed to use your own countries account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.