Problem logging in and authenticating with 2FA in Chrome browser

langshipley
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this problem, but I can't seem to log in using the Chrome browser (which was never a problem before). I get the log in screen, enter my username and password, but then when it comes to popping up the 2FA authentication page, the screen is blank. It's only just started happening (it's 8 November 2022) here. I had to jump onto the Firefox browser to in order to finish paying for an online transaction. The problem seems to be related to both third party websites where I'm making a payment and also logging on directly into the PayPal website. Anyone else having this problem and how do I fix this?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

NMJToolbox
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same for me, any Chromium based (PC) browser does this so I had to make a recent purchase with my CC instead.  After playing around I found Chrome on Android does work but Edge/Chrome & Brave browsers on PC give a blank screen when using a 2FA app at the point of it asking you for the code.

Basically, PayPal have broken their page for 2FA app security.  I have had to turn off 2FA using an app to be able to login to PayPal on my PC (I don't use Firefox).

Login to Me Too

langshipley
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, @NMJToolbox I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only one who is having this problem. It continues to be a problem for me when I checked yesterday. Thanks for the tip about turning off 2FA which I hate to do that. I guess I will have to do that until it's fixed, but so far I have had to communication from PayPal that it's been fixed or even being looked into even though I logged a tech support ticket for it. If you'd like to log a call for it, this is the link I was given to log the tech support ticket. That said, I have had no communication back from PayPal about it, but maybe if more people log a tech support ticket for the problem, then they will fix it. https://www.paypal-support.com

Login to Me Too

langshipley
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @NMJToolbox I got a response from PayPal support and they have told me to delete all cookies, cache, and history for all time. I did not want to do that for everything so just did a search to delete only that PayPal data in Chrome. To do this, in Chrome, go to settings, Privacy and security, See all site date and permissions. Then search for PayPal and delete PayPal. This seems to have worked. Will test a couple more days before responding with confirmation. Good luck.

Login to Me Too

langshipley
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @NMJToolbox unfortunately, the problem was not fixed with the clearing of the cache, etc. It worked the first time, but the next day when I tried to log back in again, the authentication page did not show up. AGAIN. Very annoying. Obviously, clearing cache and cookies is not a long term solution and I am not willing to have to do that every time I need to log into the account.

Login to Me Too

NMJToolbox
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that's disappointing.  I feel the same as you, PayPal need to fix the issue rather than workarounds.  I'll just avoid using PayPal until they sort it out.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.