How to trust my device

gks13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The problem is still there and it looks like PayPal has decided to disable the trusted device feature, but didn't update all the documentation:

Here you can clearly read it: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ4653

Spoiler
If you have 2-step verification set up, this extra security step will be used each time you log in, even if you do so from a remembered device...

But there is a help article, which says you can trust a device (which is not true): https://www.paypal.com/us/cshelp/article/what-is-2-step-verification-and-how-do-i-turn-it-on-or-off-...

Note: while writing this, the link has stopped showing the page I saw and redirects to a different page.

So, it looks like the only way to use PayPal without getting annoyed is to disable 2FA and set a password with the complexity of level "insane".

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Wrzlbrmpf
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the information. Very sad, it's so annoying to have to enter this code every time without gaining any security because the SMS is sent to the device where you enter the code.
Login to Me Too

gks13
Contributor
Contributor

Same with the one-time code, though with the difference is that you can have it on other devices and you don't need to wait for it come over the network (as SMS). But still it's a useless security enhancement, because many have their authentication apps on the same phones. Very badly done, PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Der_Seb
New Community Member

The same problem on My side. The App worked fine without an additional MFA-challenge until I changed the iPhone to a new one. Since this moment I have to answer a MFA-challenge on every app usage. The security benefit is nearly 0 in this case, because the PayPal-App and the Authenticator is secured by the same FaceID configuration on the same iPhone. It will make some users switch off MFA again.

I wish I could raise a feature request at the PayPal development…

Login to Me Too

No1inParticular
Contributor
Contributor

Trusted devices is still in settings for me - including 2 entries that I can only map to my laptop BUT it doesn't do a damn thing.  The whole 2FA & trusted feature set is either bugged to the hilt or badly implemented - to the point as stated - turn it off is about the only option if you don't want to be driven round the bend.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @No1inParticular and everyone,

Welcome to the PayPal Help Community!

I understand your concern about the 'Trust this device' feature while accessing your PayPal account. To provide a safe and secure service, PayPal reviews every activity. If the system notices any unusual activity or suspects any risk, it may ask you to confirm your identity by sending a text to your registered phone number. The unusual  activity can be accessing your account from a different device, location or usage of unrecognized or restricted networks like VPN. In such cases, you have to compete the security check by confirming your identity to access your PayPal account. You can also check this page for more information on security checks of PayPal. 

Regards,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

No1inParticular
Contributor
Contributor

No offence but Balderdash.  I'm an IT Pro (Dev & Sysadmin) - same Machine, same phone, same person, no VPN - not even using CGNAT so often likely same Public IP, same Browser & still get Auth code challenges one after other on both Laptop (which has it's browser in trusted devices) & Phone app.  It is bugged or badly implemented or both. Turn 2FA on & off to see if it will then re-prompt to trust - did for the laptop but not phone app.  Even when it did add laptop back to trusted, STILL doesn't work.  So tedious it is useless as it's driven me to disable 2FA - which again as an IT Pro I am loathe to do. 

Login to Me Too

m03t3c
Contributor
Contributor
Hi @PayPal_Bindu, any update on the last post? I‘m in the same situation: same network, country, app, no VPN. Logging in, out and a minute later on again and am asked again for 2FA… it‘s so annoying that I‘m trying to avoid paypal for online payments whenever I can and try to use apple pay instead. In fact, usability is key here and Paypal sucks at usability!!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @m03t3c

Thanks for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. I can certainly understand how being asked to complete 2FA so often can be frustrating. Depending on which country you are located, there may be more strict guidelines which may impact how you access your account and pay with PayPal. In the EU, there is the Second Payment Services Directive (PSD2). In short, it introduced two-factor authentication for online transactions, known as "Strong Customer Authentication." 

Thank you for letting us know you're using the same network, app, etc. Consistent login and payment activity may certainly help our Security System decided when it needs to present 2FA or not. With that in mind, there are also some more questions and answers you may find useful in that article on PSD2. 

Apologies for any inconvenience this may present,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.