Can't create an account using an Isle of Man mobile phone number

Laxeybobby
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to set up a Paypal account for my son, so he can safely use Ebay.
When I go to create an account for him, I select 'Personal Account' on the first screen on the website after clicking 'Sign Up' 
I then get the screen asking for a mobile number. We live on the Isle of Man and so our mobile numbers start 07624....
I enter his full mobile number and click next and I get 'We're sorry, something seems to have gone wrong. Please retry it or start again if it's stuck.'
This is as far as it can go as no matter what I do when I enter the mobile number I get the error message.

I have a PayPal account but I joined at a time when it was an email address that was used to open an account.

I have read a couple of things online that PayPal no longer allow new accounts for residents on the Isle of Man but nothing official to this from PayPal.

I tried contacting customer support and they couldn't answer why we can't set up and suggested he get a different phone number! 
We tried my wife's mobile number and at the same place in the sign up we got the same error message.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Laxeybobby 

Mobile phone has to be in the registered name of the paypal account holder.

So the phone has to be registered to your son who's name the paypal account is in and presumably he is over 18?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Laxeybobby
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the reply, Yes the phone is registered to my son. Mobile provider is Isle of Man ‘Manx Telecom’ and he is 18 although we can’t get passed the mobile phone number to even get to inputting his personal details!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.