Why does PayPal continue to allow 163.com?

KDay00
Contributor
Contributor
After being **bleep** by a Chinese website hosted on 163.com I had to ask for a refund of my purchase from PayPal last year. The website **bleep** up and issued me an already used tracking # so it wasn’t difficult to get refund. However, I continue to see post after post of past and new victims of this Chinese scam. It’s very obvious what they are doing. In a nutshell, they send you a frivolous item like a sticker with a tracking #. When it’s delivered they now have proof what you ordered was sent but they don’t send what you ordered. You buy something for $50 and you get a $0.50 sticker. PayPal investigates no more than the tracking # and delivery proof. They won’t refund $$ to a lot of people according to posts. This is occurring on a large scale and EVERYTHING goes back to 163.com. This scam must be making millions and it makes no sense that PayPal allows it to continue almost a year later. All buyers stay away from any sites associated with 163.com. If you get **bleep** follow PayPal’s dispute policy and if they deny it ASK YOUR BANK TO DO A CHARGEBACK especially if you used a credit or debit card. PayPal is not on your side when it comes to 163.com. Just my opinion but let’s see how long this stays up. Thanks!
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Bur54
Contributor
Contributor
I’m going thru that now but they won’t refund me so far.
Login to Me Too

KDay00
Contributor
Contributor
Can take 30 to 60 days sometime while they investigate too. Usually will make funds available to you until investigation is done. PayPal acknowledges this fraud in some posts and in others they refuse to cooperate. I don’t think everyone is on the same page in dispute department.
Login to Me Too

Bur54
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal just replied to me and they have refused to refund so… BUYER BEWARE OF THIS SCAM!!!!
Login to Me Too

Bur54
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much for your reply.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bur54 

@KDay00 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.