Lightsaber scam YIN <removed>

ivanm1337
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have been a victim of a classical scam, where I ordered "METAL LIGHT SABER" from colorful hairs:

https://colorful-hairs.com/collections/hot-sale/products/copy-of-7-color-transformations-50-off-disc...

I have received a cheap plastic toy (1$ worth) which was not properly packaged and got broken on the transit! The seller was not answering on both paypal account Email nor on his website. I opened a paypal dispute and I was instructed to send it back (to china) where the costs of sending were much higher than the actual product. I have also seen that the address is invalid:

Address where I should send it:

<removed> Shenzhen, GUANGDONG Province 518000 China

I really don't understand how paypal can be on the side of scammers. They also promise this on their website:

"WE PROMISE THAT OUR PRODUCTS AND PICTURES WILL BE 100% IDENTICAL. IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE RECEIPT OF THE GOODS, YOU CAN APPLY FOR A REFUND AND DO NOT NEED TO RETURN THE GOODS. YOU CAN USE PAYPAL TO PAY AND PAYPAL WILL PROTECT YOUR MONEY. "

I mean, are you kidding me! Can anyone help?

Ivan

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

Sketchmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had the same problem. Bought the lightsaber after an ad in Instagram. And received a plastic lightsaber with' Toy' written on the package. Undamaged by the way.After reading this thread I called Paypal Netherlands (my country) and explained them. They wanted me to return the lightsaber. But I told them that the address turned out to be false. After that they told me that they would sort it out and give me a confirmed address. One day later they closed the dispute with the remark: 'Seller has returned the money'. So the case was closed for me. I'm not sure that they took steps after that since the amount of people on this topic keeps growing!

But seems to me that Paypal is al automatic software and if you call support then they act upon it the same day. I hope this helps!

Login to Me Too

madmacmo
Contributor
Contributor

Since the Facebook scam ad has long since been taken down, for anyone needing proof of the ad's deceptive product description please note this YT video depicting the orginal ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GiI9ld3EAw

Login to Me Too

petersolo
New Community Member

For all of you, who are angry about that 404 error on the product page. I have found the product information page on archive.org.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180716120054/https://creative-mall.com/collections/hot-sale/products/7...

If you have to provide more product informations to the paypal support, use the url above.

Login to Me Too

RRickDD
Contributor
Contributor

Paid with my PayPal balance.  Oh, I'm still on hold.  9 hours later. Guess it takes them a while to research it.

Login to Me Too

RRickDD
Contributor
Contributor
He ripper me off as well, and PayPal is helping him. Initially, I cancelled the sale moments after I placed it.  Multiple emails cancelling the order were ignored.  Why did I cancel? I discovered that the seller is a professional scammer. I immediately filed a PayPal dispute.  The scammer/seller shipped the item it AFTER the dispute was filed. What I received was not even close to what I ordered. The site was advertising a very expensive, custom, all metal lightsaber replica. What was shipped was a $3 plastic toy.

PayPal closed the dispute and found in favor of the scammer - simply because he shipped the item. They won't let me dispute their decision supporting this professional scammer, or file a claim for the fake item.  I tried editing the claim multiple times - but just received an error that "something went wrong."  BTW - I called PayPal today at 7pm Central time. It's mow 10 minutes after midnight - and I'm still on hold.  Have it on speaker phone - it's their dime.

Description on site and invoice: METAL STAR WARS LIGHTSABER.
What arrived: Plastic $3 toy, not the over $100 metal item advertised. 

Guarantee on sellers website: "WE PROMISE THAT OUR PRODUCTS AND PICTURES WILL BE 100% IDENTICAL. IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE RECEIPT OF THE GOODS, YOU CAN APPLY FOR A REFUND AND DO NOT NEED TO RETURN THE GOODS. YOU CAN USE PAYPAL TO PAY AND PAYPAL WILL PROTECT YOUR MONEY."

This scammer has ripped off thousands of people, mostly via PayPal.

This is 100% a scam. Just Google "YIN <removed> scam" - the first page is almost entirely PAYPAL discussions on the scammer.
Login to Me Too

Robot_Lord
Contributor
Contributor

I recommend immediately filing a chargeback with your bank (if you used a credit card for payment).

Login to Me Too

Fuzilov
Contributor
Contributor

I also was told to return to them by DHL or UPS they are going as company called Allways now Yin <removed>, too many people for PP not to notice.

Hope to get reimbursed or will loose security feeling PP offers.

Login to Me Too

Instech
Contributor
Contributor

Assuming that you have already opened a dispute & haven't yet sent the item, phone PayPal customer services & ask to speak to someone about your case. I had exactly the same problem with another of Yin Menglin's products & was told that you can't be forced to employ DHL or UPS if they want the item back, you may use your normal mail, as long as it is a tracked service (PayPal will also refund your postal costs, up to a certain limit). Fortunately for me, this wasn't necessary in the end, as I received notification this morning that the seller was going to reimburse me in full. The more complaints to & claims against such scammers made to PayPal by innocent purchasers will strengthen our position & (hopefully) eventually lead to termination of these crooks' accounts.  In the meantime, simply avoid any bargain/flash sale adverts on Facebook that seem "too good to be true", they will turn out to be exactly that!

Login to Me Too

Ripa
New Community Member

Another one here. Just placed a dispute... let´s see what happens!

Login to Me Too

RRickDD
Contributor
Contributor

Complain on PayPal's FB page as well!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.