Ebay scammer

Charlotte007
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a laptop off ebay (I know dumb but I liked the deal). Sent via FedEx and arrived two days ago. As soon as I received it I noticed that it was a cardboard box covered with clear tape but I ignored it and signed for it at my pick up site because it was heavy enough to be a laptop. Long story short I was scammed. I received a weighted box with the laptop box inside. Inside the laptop box were the little bags of garden/pond rocks you buy cheap and a bunch of trash (paper bits, old torn up packaging with labels removed/scratched out, plastic ect) all inside the previously opened laptop box. I immediately email the seller via ebay and open a case with paypal. I get a call later that night from the seller. Apparently he has my number which maybe he got from ebay. It's a man with an accent and he asked me "why you do this? What was in box?" I replied what I received was trash, no laptop. He said I am lying and he would have me investigated for postal fraud and he would like to take legal action. I told him I wasn't comfortable with him just calling me so to use the ebay email to contact me goodbye. I filed a dispute with paypal and uploaded pictures of the box, screenshots of my paypal purchase from my bank history, and screenshots of the email exchange where he told me he would file charges against me. He said fedex must have switched something and it was their responsibility in the email as well. I immediately filed a case with fedex, my bank card, paypal and eBay. I emailed my local police station explaining the situation, still waiting a response although it's not like it's a priority for them and it's not theft so I have no idea what they can do. I just want there to be proof I'm actively fighting it. What more do I need to help my case? I've read about people losing because the item technically arrived and nothing during shipping set off alarms (package weight, open box ect).

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Charlotte007 

Did you file an SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) dispute at PayPal? If not, change the reason to that from Item Not Received because for such a reason, all the seller need to do is provide tracking number and they win. And you need to take the box to the police station and insist they file a report so there is a record of this incident and also file a report with ic3.gov. PDF the documents and upload it to the case. And cross your fingers!

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.