Counterfeit product return

GreenOfNile
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, I have purchased something from ebay and the product is a counterfeit one and the seller accepts it as counterfeit. Now Paypal tells me to ship the item back to the seller but I don’t want to be responsible for the return cost because I have been basically scamed. How can I ask this return cost to be on seller?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GreenOfNile 

Did you open an ebay dispute or a paypal dispute?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GreenOfNile
Contributor
Contributor
I directly went with the Paypal dispute.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GreenOfNile 

Thats a shame as ebay would have made the seller issue you with a shipping label.

But thats not how paypal works >>>

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction....or the one for your country as this is the U.S link.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

HOWEVER THEY MAY NOT TELL YOU TO RETURN THE ITEM IF YOU PROVIDE FROM A SHOP THAT SELLS OR THE MANUFACTURER OF THE ITEM WRITTEN PROOF ITS COUNTERFEIT.

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.