One of two credit cards not accessible, now funding options vanished too and none accessible

bobgee
Contributor
Contributor

Open communication to the Paypal M.D. / CEO and senior staff.

Went to 'send money'. Without warning one of my two credit cards on file suddenly wasn't accessible to use for payment. It had been previously a few weeks back and was still very much up to date and functional. So I made it 'primary' - still not available.  So I tried later, still no change.  So I went to 'funding options' and changed the check-box trying to reset it. Then no cards available and only funding option shown is paypal balance.  The 'funding option' link (and the page) has now vanished completely. So I tried the 'link credit card' hyperlink for the card that I wanted to use, but which wasn't available to me to use.  That credit card was in use and had been used. It was only set some 4 months ago and was accepted straight away (no a/c charge and security number procedure). But now when I link it, instead of telling me it's linked and on the system it wants (and has!) to bill me a pound and for me to wait serveral days in the process to enter the security number. So something which was linked and functioning, now isn't, not just for 'send money' funding, but not at all as it will be blocked without the security being entered.  I dare not try with the other card (which I can't now use for 'send money' funding either as the option has gone) as it may leave me with no functioning cards at all - and that means no functioning account.

So, how useless is all that?  Hardly what one should expect from a major money transfer service, is it?

So now I have the dilema - tell the recipient I have a problem and maybe he'll think I'm messing him about?  Pay with Paypal balance at a significantly greater cost due to the exchange rate involved?  Try to pay with a card I didn't want to use (still at greater cost). Sit here, waiting for Paypal to solve it with little confidence they will in a hurry, embarrased because I can't pay the receipient as promised.  Oh, I could call Paypal - but now, when they are needed, they are not there!

OK, so may be you're thinking 'huh, he must have done something wrong'.  If only that were the case I'd be happy to blame myself - but I haven't. I just hit a problem with paypal and tried to use the limited and very poor tools made available to me via the paypal site to fix it. It's made it worse. The function of the paypal site in relation to cards is very poor. Other people have said similar. It's what I might have expected 10-15 years ago when these things were in their infancy, but it should have been brought up to date.  It's not the first acknowledged malfunction I've come across (and reported). All of which makes me question why such a substantial operation should be, in cases, forcing people to use their services?  Let's face it, most of us use paypal because we have an ebay account and out of convenience then use it for other things as well.  Who thought 'oh, I need a money transfer service for other general purposes' so I'll choose paypal?  Not many, I'll wager.

So isn't it high time paypal improved things???  Instead of trying to dictate how people pay for things (which is at the root of the problems I've experienced today) they should be facilitating customer option.  I should not be able to 'loose' the facility to select funding options, nor should the ones I have already set be somehow blocked for no reason. I say 'no reason' because if there was a reason, I should have been told, shouldn't I.

I'm not happy about the time wasted on this either.

Disgruntled  😞

For more appropriate routing, cross-posted to:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Sending-and-receiving-money/One-of-two-credit-cards-not-accessib...

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Not sure anyone would want to work there way through all of that...sorry i couldn't.

If you edit with a question may be able to help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bobgee
Contributor
Contributor

Hardly worth posting a cop-out as a response is it...

What would you like me to say? Thanks for replying but I couldn't be bothered to read it?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

well when a helper answers lots of posts + replies per day, they can't spend the time wading through an essay.

As I said I am sure you can edit it to the relevant points but if you can't be bothered no problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bobgee
Contributor
Contributor

There is a consise and clear subject line.  Expanded details are set out in the opening paragraph.

I am sorry, I assumed that even someone with a limited attention span could manage one paragraph if they found the topic of interest.

If you don't or are unable to, fair enough, but that's not really a reason to chastise me, is it?

Login to Me Too

eileenann
Contributor
Contributor

There's a little button called "Report Abuse". This volunteer needs top be reported. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Smiley Very Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

eileenann
Contributor
Contributor

You are beyond reproach aren't your. Well, my previous career has afforded my finding out not only the current PayPal's CEO email address ,I also have the addresses of the four original owners. Every single one of your condemning and nasty responses to customers who use PayPal willb be sent to them. It's not much, but every single can make a difference at one time or another.

I'd love to know your selling address. I really would love to see your feedback and responses to others. I'm guessing you think you are beyond reproach?

As for the moderators...I'd start doing your jobs. That is is PayPal pays you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why don't you just start helping others like i do.

OVER 900 folk have given me kudos to say i have SOLVED THEIR PROBLEMS.

There have been x2 rude people in the last few days and one is YOU.

Most days I just meet grateful and polite people who get a polite response.

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT to respond HOW I WANT TO to folks that are rude to me.

When you have JUST ONE kudos to say you have helped someone you may just may have the right to critiscise me.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

bobgee...

I didn't chastise you, I politely asked if you could edit the post as it would be easier to read and meant you were more likely to get a response. 

I have asked others before when there have been loads of posts to answer and only me doing it and most times i get the reply "yes sure" and they edit and I promptly respond.

As i said up to you. I respond to a lot of people needing help and it is all in my own time. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.