Unauthorized Deposit?

TomYosho
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried to get this issue resolved over the phone several times over the past 3 months with fraud support. Each time I get off the phone with fraud support they assure me that it will all be taken care of within a week. They never seem to return the money to the owner's account. I filed a transaction dispute two weeks ago, they just got back to me and the message said this wasn't a case of unauthorized account activity. I'm not sure where to go from here.

I opened this account many years ago with the intent to sell items on e-bay. I never got around to doing that, and I never finished opening this account by linking it with a credit card or bank account. (Keep in mind I never have used Payal before.) I sorta forgot about the account until in August of 2016, I received a series of emails one afternoon.

The first email was telling me that my language settings were changed to Spanish, then two emails in Spanish and a few emails in English telling me there was suspected fraud on my account. I couldn't log into my account that easily, I didn't know my password, I had to reset it.  I started that two-factor authorization thing. I think that stopped whoever was in my account from logging back into it. After logging in and seeing the fraudulent transaction (money being deposited into my account from a Bank of America account for some unknown reason) I called Paypal over the phone.

The first time I talked with fraud support, in August, the money wasn't cleared and she couldn't stop the transaction from completing. She told me the transaction would reverse itself after it cleared. That never happened. I talked with fraud support in September and October about this transaction, they assured me both times that the money would be returned, but it never was.

The $499.00 in my account is not mine. I'm not sure how to return it or whatever. The third time I called I found out that the money came from a Bank of America in my name, but the lady from fraud support said she could tell it wasn't really my bank account.

I tried closing my Paypal account from the settings page but that tells me I have to contact customer support to close the account, for some reason. I don't want to spend the money cause it isn't mine, and I don't want to get into any trouble. I don't think the money was deposted into my account because of an error, based off of the third phone call. I'm not really sure who to contact or email about this.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

"money being deposited into my account from a Bank of America account for some unknown reason"

The money went from what account to what account?

The $499.00 was withdrawn from your PayPal account to your bank account?  Or was this money added to your PayPal account from an unknown bank account?

Can't close account if there is issue with the account and would definitely need assistance from customer service to close it.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

TomYosho
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the confusion. The money was withdrawn from an unknown bank account and added to my Paypal account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.