Sold item on Ebay. Buyer canceled payment & kept my item. Now what?

PaalPaal
Contributor
Contributor

I reported the buyer, and what is weird is that ebay doesn't have an option to report buyers for taking items and then cancelling payments.  What's also weird is I never got to rate him with a 1 star.  

I openned a case up for "no payment," and I waited around a week after the date that the payment was canceled.  I openned the case on the day it was canceled.  I waited for the payment to clear for a week before he cancled the payment.  

Ebay states that in order to receive the money I lost in this deal I had to close the case first.  That's what I did, and I don't see anything about any money coming to me.  What do I do now, and how do I get my money?  Please help. 

I've been on a lot of services websites, and this is one of the most unhelpful and unintuitive websites I've ever encountered.  I work online.  I haven't seen worse.  

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

THERE Have been many cases like this recently,we need more information?

did Paypal said it is okay to ship?

did you ship before it clears?

what is the reason for cancelling,what message did you get?

I have been on Ebay for many years,I dont even know it is possible for a buyer to cancel after making payment.

Could it be a bank transfer and there is not enough fund in his bank account??

did he use PAD,pay after delivery or can you tell?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

why dont you ask Ebay hos is it possible?

also send the buyer a Paypal money request,

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

On Ebay,they are saying one possibility is that those who use mobile app,THEY ARE getting conflicting notice ,it said ok to ship but if they look into the account or without using APP,it is not okay to ship.

so do your homework,check your account ,your email notice.

Login to Me Too

PaalPaal
Contributor
Contributor

Wait, I thought that I was protected by ebay and paypal if I sent the package to the buyer, and the buyer had a pending payment.  

What if the payment is pending?  Should I wait until the money is in my PayPal acount before sending the item?

I saw the buyer had sent payment, and it was pending in my PayPal account, and then I thought that I could not recieve the money until the package was recieved.  Is this not right?  

How should I ship and recieve payments, and what can I do to get the money from ebay or paypal after the buyer canceled the payment and kep the package?  

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you need to read about withholding payment,ebay and Paypal and why and how to deal with it?

there are various reasons why payment is on hold,it takes time to collect payment,it could be a risky transaction ,either problem with the buyer or items like iphone,it could be review for money laundering,terrorism act,or government regulations etc

most important-always remember DONT SELL ANYTHING YOU CANT AFFORD TO LOSE

Login to Me Too

PaalPaal
Contributor
Contributor

did Paypal said it is okay to ship?

I don't know.  I didn't see anything about waiting to ship or being okay to ship on ebay or paypal.  I remember that ebay said I got the money, and paypal send money was still pending.  

did you ship before it clears?

I remember shipping while payment was pending.  I didn't wait for anything because I had assumed that one or both of these companies would reimburse me for anything like this.

what is the reason for cancelling,what message did you get?

Neither on ebay or paypal was there any messages about why the cancelation.  It just said canceled.  

SIDE NOTES:

I remember that the person's address was in the US, and there was some information about the identity of the person being "international" and "un-verified."  I assumed the companies would reimburse me if anything backfired.  

What is really stupid and aggravating are the systems in these websites for dealing with this kind of thing.  I've seen very simple companies' apps have been web designs for dealing with problems such as this problem.  The way that ebay and paypal appear to be designed is to completely subdue the seller from wanting to pursue any further by simply making no way to pursue and cleverly side stepping and avoiding the exact problem.  Their web design is "very evasive."  It's very customer unfriendly.

For instance on ebay where it says I can "open a case" on the buyer to collect money uncollected.  There is no option for this cancelation problem I see many people having, so I have to improvise, and select an option similar such as "the buyer falsely claimed there was a defect."  

Then after waiting for the case to retrieve my money and/or ebay take care of the crook or reimburse me or even contact me to get full details to explain what had happened.....nothing happened.  No one reached me.  No more options appeared for me.  The crook just ignored anything if anything was sent to him.  

I could not even leave a bad reivew of the buyer.  That's very sub moronic of ebay which leaves me to believe that something intentionally selective is going on here which is very "seller unfriendly" because it is the sellers that perhaps they want to rip off, right?  

Lastly after waiting for the case to credit me my losses, I literally read that in order to be credited for my losses after so many days of the case being open, I was to "close the case."  Ebay's website states that if I close the case after so many days of nothing happening from the buyer who should have paid me, then I will be credited the money.  That's what I did, and nothing happened.  Also they do not allow the case to be re-openned. 

So the website is very unclear and disorienting as well as "avoiding."  

Becasue I've seen that so many people are having problems such as this, and this ebay and paypal are very anti seller friendly especially in the area of globalist scams which could be widely taken advantage of with the right organziation, I'm very bearish on the two companies' success in the future.  

I have seen news of executives having entered ebay's boards which bear the omen of impending doom for this company.  I believe that they have outside interests beyond the ebay company, and that those interested have amazon as their prize while ebay as "expendable competion."  The sellers are being bamboozled with international loops, the website is unfriendly, unclear, and customer service is very lacking compared to every other online company, and last of all blockchain will put paypal out of business along with many other services that charge fees for money transfers.  

So I am going to start to short sell ebay and paypal with puts and shares which is essentially a way of sueing a corporation through Wall St.  

In an era of information technology no company or government can afford to half **bleep** what they are doing when it has never been as easy in history for them to do it because of information technology.  I've seen so many of these new and rising companies online that when you see one as big as these two who are not quite doing it right, you know they either do not care, they are too incompetent which is a major "no no" for companies to be with billion dollar stock market caps like theirs, or there is crime or something similar going on here.  In either case what is not working is not in the stock share holders interests, and these things will come to toll these companies earnings outlooks, and their share holders will come to sell their holdings off.  Their stocks will decline, so I suggest short selling shares or buyng put options to profit on that.  If you short shares, they will last forever, and if you are unsure, you can by a call option that expires after 6 months to protect your shares.  1 option protects 100 shares.  Mini options protect 25 shares.  If you can't afford the shares, a cheap OUT OF THE MONEY put option or two 6 months out will do.  It's really the stock price drop offs after earnings that you want to anticipate.

So I lost a few hundred bucks on their "scams," but I'll make much more than that on their stocks now that I know what's going on in these companies.  

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You shipped while the PayPal payment was pending.  It was pending because PayPal had issues with actually receiving the money from the buyer's bank; eventually the buyer's bank refused to complete the payment so the payment was cancelled, not by the buyer, but by the buyer's funding source.

You shipped before the payment was completred.  You shipped before PayPal showed "OK to ship" on the transaction detail page. This means you are not eligible for PayPal protecton.

If you had waited to ship you would still have your item when the payment failed.

In future, check the PayPal transaction details page and reall all the information.

Login to Me Too

PaalPaal
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.