Paypal resolution system issues. Please help !

Alanhead
Contributor
Contributor

I agreed to take a $500 down payment for a motorcycle via paypal.  I pulled the adds from local sale sites and awaited the buyer to show up on agreed date. Date passes and buyer reschedules.  The day before the rescheduled date the guy backs out of the deal and wants a refund.  I tell him no, we made an agreement and I already passed up a better offer to keep our agreement.  He disputes it in paypay stating that he never recieved the item. Well ya, he didnt because he didnt come get it.  Paypal resolution system has no system in place for claims like this.  I received a resolution update today from paypay and the have credited the buyer the $500 back by removing it from my account.  I have many problems with this. 1) I have text messages from the buyer assuring me that we were a go for the sale. He gave me a deposit to hold the bike and I paid money to list this bike and now have to do it again at a loss to me.  2) Pay pal charges ME a fee to recieve money and then charged me a fee to return money costing me over $30 in fees from Paypal alone.  3) I wasnt given any opportunity to dispute this chargeback because the links are disabled.   What do I do?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

first,where did you sell /list your motorcycle?

If it were Ebay motors,the deposit is not refundable if you say so in your listing.

unlikes rest of Ebay,Ebay motors sellers do not have to accept PAYPAL or credit card payments ,but they would acept a deposit via Paypal.

In your case,Paypal has returned the $500 to your buyer,thats not much you can do,but are you sure Paypal is keeping its fee?

Look at the transaction,it should say,you refund $4xx and the rest comes from Paypal.

For $500,Paypal cut would be 30 cents plus 2.9% which comes to $14.80.

When the transaction is reversed,there could be a transaction fee but nowhere does it add up to $30,look at it again.

If this is an Ebay transaction,you need to cancel this order and get your Ebay fee back.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Listing fee you lose,sometimes the buyer feel bad and will reimburse you for the listing fee,else just chalk it up to cost of doing business.

Login to Me Too

Alanhead
Contributor
Contributor

Bike was "sold" via craigslist.  I was charged almost $30 in fees from Paypal.  That's a problem. But the big issue is that Paypal doesnt have any remediation options for a down payment, just "Item not received". Ya, he didnt get it because he didnt pay for it or pick it up.  So in Paypal's mind I didnt fulfill my obligation.  That's wrong.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

No way is your Paypal fee for $500 deposit comes to $30,it is 30 cents plus 2.9%.

Does it cost anything to list on Craigslist.

If you do not like refunding deposit,then do not accept Paypal payment,ask for cash or money order.

Login to Me Too

Alanhead
Contributor
Contributor

You are absolutely wrong.  $500 deposited to me cost me $14.80 in Paypal fees.  My $500 turned into $485.20.  When Paypal credited the money back they took $500.  I was only given $485.20, they took $500 back. You do the math.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Suggest you disclose all details about both transactions, including fees, line by line.

Login to Me Too

Alanhead
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure how much more clear I can be.  Buyer deposited $500. Paypal charged 14.80 for fees to me. They arent broken down, just a 14.80 fee.  When they took the deposit from my account they credited the buyer with $500.  That means I lost $29.80 to no fault of my own.  Thats wrong !

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you would have refunded as requested, you would have only lost 30 cents and maybe some time.  You still had your item.  Never force a transaction, especially when the person requests a refund or they will go over your head and force a scenario that is not beneficial to you.

You say no, we have a agreement.  Buyer says, yeah, we'll see about that.  If you want no refunds, cash is king.  Don't put it on PayPal, they're just doing what they are supposed to do.  A customer disputes and wants their money back, they put it right.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Alanhead
Contributor
Contributor

What part of $14.80 transaction fee x 2 do you guys not understand? Its NOT .30.  If you have nothing to add to helping me recoup my money then please keep your opinions to yourself.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.