if using ebay - remember to signout of paypal

noobinacan
New Community Member

If you're using ebay and just paid for an item..you were probably asked to login to Paypal.
but then sent back to ebay. At the end of the transaction, you can signout of ebay..but for that same browser window..you are still logged into paypal.

If you go to paypal.com, though, you get the login page, you'll see that you can get to your account info and are still logged in.

Remember to go back to paypal.com and signout of paypal.

Payal or ebay need to fix this!

Either tell the user that they are still signed in at Paypal or give them a paypal logout link as well.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

grangeranger
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure if this is true for ebay but, paypal will automatically log a user out. It happens if there is no activity from the logged in user. I am not quite sure of what the specified time is. It might be 5-8-10 minutes. I do not think it is any longer than a few minutes. Even if you go to the tab that you were logged into paypal on a few hours later because you never closed the window  it will still be on the same open paypal page. As soon as you hit a key or click the mouse the pay pal logging page will come on and it will tell you that your session has timed out.

Make sure that you have the most current version of the browser that you use, and it is good to have a security that has a log-in safe, or shelter. A good security program will detect if there is a web address other than your computers address and shut the browser down. i use Norton and it has a tool bar with a log-in safe. I have experienced the browser stop responding and if I match it with the time on the security history log it usually says "intrision detection medium severity,"  The action of  shutting down the browser cuts off access to the unknown address and then whoever was trolling cannot take information from your accounts, or hard drive, or leave behind things like spyware etc.. If you are finding that you are stll actively logged in try updating and /or upgrading your browser and security.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yeah, this isn't really a problem - Paypal automatically logs you out after a short time.

Login to Me Too

Sistah_Eve
Contributor
Contributor

I would never trust that PayPal will safeguard my privacy by automatically logging me out. What's the purpose of being security-conscious if you don't take responsibility for protecting yourself? I trust that I'm safely logged out when I manually request to be logged out and reach a screen confirming that I'm logged out, and not until then. Trusting PayPal to take care of it for you gets filed under "the check is in the mail," "I'll be right back as soon as I break this twenty," and "I'm a Nigerian and have a big check for you if you give me access to your bank account."

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

So I take it you already have a security key?

Login to Me Too

Sistah_Eve
Contributor
Contributor

@surplusdealdude wrote:

So I take it you already have a security key?

No, I haven't purchased the additional security key PayPal offers.

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm grateful that the keys are offered, but I'm not pleased about having to pay extra for it. PayPal already takes a cut of every transaction. Is PayPal saying that unless we purchase the offered security key, we are now settling for the lesser alternative -- the safety feature that only provides "average" security?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the thing works GREAT and Paypal has to be taking a loss on it, since they pay for shipping (which has got to cost at least a couple of bucks).

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.