advice needed on dispute, refund and return

user2012
Contributor
Contributor

First, my apologies if my question is totally silly. I'm a seller, have a dispute case opened by a buyer, how should I demand tracking information from the buyer before I issue refund to them?

10 years on paypal and ebay, I've got my first ever negative feedback and paypal dispute. The buyer's behavior seems suspicious to me so I think I should be careful about refund and receiving the return.

Buyer claimed the item "not as described". Although I believe the item is perfect, I have no problem filing a return and give the buyer refund. Instead of communicating with me, the buyer opened paypal dispute almost the same time she sent me her first ebay message about return and refund. Then, the buyer demands refund AND not returning the item (worth >$100) and threatened negative feedback and paypal claim if I wouldn't give both refund AND the sold item. I thought it was not right and insisted that the buyer must return the item.

Now I have the buyer's dispute case still open, and the buyer seems to agree to return the item. Meantime, I've received several mean messages from the buyer, full of rude words that wouldn't help to speed up the refund and return. At this point, I feel the buyer's behavior is quite suspicious. It seems that if I close the dispute case by giving a full refund, the buyer will immediately get refund and may never send me back my sold item. Should I escalate the dispute to paypal and make sure the buyer provides tracking number of the returned item?

I guess if I escalate the case to paypal, eventually the paypal will "favor" the buyer and requires me to give the refund. This is what I am wiling to do from the beginning, and I just want to make sure I get the expensive item returned to me. But will it hurt my record as a seller if I escalate the case to paypal?

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If the buyer doesn't escalate the dispute to a paypal claim with 20 days of filing the dispute, it will close out in your favor.

So y have 2 options, tell the buyer to ship it back with D/C, or when the buyer escalates the dispute paypal will tell them to send it back to you with D/C.

Login to Me Too

user2012
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks a lot! This is exactly the information I need!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.