You can't use this card to pay for this transaction-all weekend-found the answer!

gen68
Contributor
Contributor

I hope this helps someone out so you don't have the frustration I did. Saturday I tried to pay a seller via eBay checkout which takes you to Paypal. I wanted to use my American Express as I have hundreds of times before and got the message 'You can't use this card to pay for this transaction'. I had a .63 cent available balance with Paypal. Normally, Paypal uses the balance first and then puts the remainder on a card or bank account of your choice. It didn't matter which credit card I chose, I got the same error message every time. I got on the Paypal AND eBay forums and saw many others experiencing same and different issues with paying for items over the weekend. I called Paypal once and e-mailed them after what they suggested didn't work; using the Send Money feature which wouldn't allow me to pay for eBay items that route. They said everything was good on their side so tonight, I get on a chat with eBay. I decided to try to pay for an item with one of my bank accounts and the .63 cent Paypal balance and viola! I wondered if the same rule applied to making purchases that applies for transferring money to your bank which is the balance has to be $1.50 or more. Good night if I'd have known that, I would have done this on Saturday and cleared my Paypal balance and been on my way!!! So the moral of the story is, if you have a balance under $1.50, you have to pay the balance of your purchase with a bank account. Why you ask???? No idea!! I had inquired about this when I called Paypal and the customer service person who seemed well educated said having a balance under $1.50 wouldn't affect my choice of payment for the remaining balance. Its a programming issue and hopefully, they get this fixed along with the other ones causing the code errors soon.The customer service rep with eBay that I was chatting with when I solved my issue said he would pass it on to Paypal, let's hope he follows through with that! Happy Trails!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Sudiemae
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to bring bad news, but I have been having exactly the same problem with trying to use American Express on PayPal for several months now.  Every time I get the "You cannot use this card to pay for this transaction" message.  I have spoken to PayPal on the phone at least a dozen times and almost every time get a different response.  The only duplicate answers I've gotten is that the transaction fits some "security model" that PayPal has so they are blocking the sale and there is nothing they can do for me.  What I think is really going on is PayPal doesn't want to pay fees to American Express, so they are blocking use of their cards.  I won't give PayPal access to my bank account, so they don't want my business.  Don't be surprised if you continue to get the message when you try to use American Express.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.