Why does Paypal charge a percentage for shipping charges

lil1sixty3
Contributor
Contributor

Palpal charges a percentage for shipping charges as well as end of auction. Yesterday I completed an auction. I sold an itme for .99 cents charged $5.00 for shipping at the end of it all I gave a refund to the customer be cause actual shipping was only $3.60 I gave back $1.40 so I look on here today and you guys charged me .43 cents for a fee. since when is . 43 8% of .99. I do my best to be above board with my custmoers and you folks think it is OK to rip us off. I would like to comment on Buyer protection. Ebay's buyers do not pay you to purchase the seller pays you! Me as a seller should not be the one informing you that you have let me down as a buyer of your service. A service which was force fed down my throat by Ebay and Paypal which I have read is two seperate entities. Are you kidding me. I read the news I know the paypal company was purchased by someone. You may be seperate but still the two companies are owned by the same people! By the way all of this is not worth the time it takes to read and write what about us???

What about the seller I think it is only fair that you only charge a percentage of the end of auction price so we can afford our customers some semblance of honesty without Paypal dipping the pot!

You know it would be nice if all of this new initiative from paypal and Ebay would just go away. I am sure you are loosing dealers  as well as buyers. Yet you begin a program that protects the buyer! Protect us  sellers we are your bread and butter! We are the ones that actually buy your services!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you refunded the correct way, from the link in the details section you are not charged a fee It may look like it but you were not charged a fee.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@lil1sixty3 wrote:

Palpal charges a percentage for shipping charges as well as end of auction.

The PayPal fee is based on the total payment amount (item price plus your shipping/handling charge)...  this is standard practice for all payment services. 

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The PayPal fee for a $4.59 payment is 43 cents..  The PayPal fee for a 99 cent payment is 33 cents.  If you wanted to receive at minimum 66 cents (after fees) for this item, you would need to have a $1.09 starting item price.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.