WHY DO I NEED TO PUT IN A DEBIT/CREDIT CARD WHEN PURCHASING ITEMS WITH PAYPAL

JOHNSLEE1
Contributor
Contributor

I HAVE SUFFICIENT FUNDS AND I CAN'T EVEN BUY SOMETHING THAT COSTS A DOLLAR WITHOUT PAYPAL ASKING ME TO PUT IN A CREDIT CARD/ DEBIT CARD NUMBER IN CASE OF LACK OF FUNDS.

I JUST WANNA PURCHASE THINGS WITH PAYPAL WITH THE MONEY THATS IN THERE. I DO NOT WANT MY CARDS AND PAYPAL TO BE LINKED.

Login to Me Too
226 REPLIES 226

alpoej25
Contributor
Contributor

Can you use a loadable debt card like from walmart to perform my banking needs with paypal ? and if so how much do I need to keep in there? Al  

Login to Me Too

ottolink
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal has NEVER been very customer friendly.    They are also nearly impossible to contact in the first place if you need to resolve something. 

If you think this is bad, just wait until the US Government brand of healthcare gets going.  Then it will be your health/life at stake instead of just money, and the bureaucracy will make Paypal look like your best friend.

Login to Me Too

stopit
Contributor
Contributor

Everyone is out to take money from your pocket, its up to you if you let that pass, also about health care, I am 70,just wait untill you retire, then you learn.

Login to Me Too

blackfeather19
New Community Member

NO ONE NEEDS TO EVER PUT IN CREDIT CARD INFO INTO PAY PAL.  IF YOUR SCREEN IS OPEN ENTIRELY THAN ALL YU HAVE TO DO IT GO TO THE COMPLETE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PAGE AND LOGIN.  IT IS THAT SIMPLE.  THERE IS NEVER A NEED TO PUT IN A CREDIT CARD BECAUSE YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE ON FILE IF YOU ARE A PAY PAL MEMBER.  SIMPLE!!!

Login to Me Too

SinjCeridan
Contributor
Contributor

Blackfeather, you are either a paypal employee downplaying the current problems or you simply do not understand the underlying hypocrisy being employed by paypal at the current time. If it's the latter keep reading.

Some folks have funded their accounts with cards (cc or debit), some (like me) have funded paypal with a bank account, while some have funded with both or other means. There are differing reasons for people to choose their preferred method. My personal method has been keeping paypal funded when I want, the amount I want, for the purchases I would like to make. The problem is not with having a verified card, account, address, etc.

Now, out of the blue, paypal wants a card and an account. We can only speculate as to why this is so, we can however see through the lie of "address verification".

Let me give you my little ordeal. I log to a site I have purchased from in the past, a very reputable website known for having superior customer service. Get my basket loaded up, click on checkout, click on "pay using paypal", then log in to paypal on the right of the screen. No problem so far. When I click on continue to complete my purchase I am asked for a credit card.

This puzzled me as A) this was new, B) my account is funded from my bank, C) the purchase is taking less than half my current paypal balance. While trying to figure out what is happening D) occurs. D) the information is needed for address verification. This was a sticker for me as I have made paypal purchases that were delivered to my address.

Mistakenly, I assumed it was a problem with the website I was trying to make the purchase from. It was only after the same credit card prompt occured in the same place, (once I again I want to point out AFTER I had successfully logged into paypal), that it finally dawned on me that the problem is with paypal. Not ebay, not walmart.com, not bestbuy.com, not any other website.

From what I am reading, folks funding paypal through cards or other means are now being required to add a bank account. This only substantiates paypal now wanting too much information which is not only a monetary risk, it is an invasion of privacy via blackmail with our own money.

Login to Me Too

reallymad
Contributor
Contributor

SinjCeridan - a very nice summary of the problem.

When I began to be prompted for a credit card for a $20 purchase when I had over $1,000 in my paypal account it made me VERY nervous.

I immediately transfered most of my balance OUT of paypal and then removed it from the attached bank account.  I also had my bank put a block on my bank account so that paypal can't remove money from it.

I don't know what's going on with Paypal but I totally do not trust them.

When I attempted to resolve the problem with phone customer service, they guy started asking totally inappropriate questions, ("Are you married") which set off alarm bells.

Paypal is under court order to provide phone customer service but I think that, like Time Warner does, they are hiring prisoners to do their customer service and don't really give a sh** what they say or do.  Paypal is not in the business of offering customer service.  They are in the business of making a buck off us, irresponsibly, capriciously and without concern.

Login to Me Too

SinjCeridan
Contributor
Contributor

I sincerely hope action is taken for the inappropriate question. Unfortunately it is unlikely to happen. At one time I was in customer service. While we could not ask age, race, religion, marital status, or other direct personal information, it was within the law to make statements such as "you sound hot" etc. The laws differ depending on the state or country you are in as the person on the other end of the phone is governed by the laws they presently reside under. Back in 2000 there was a bill in front of congress that would reverse the situation (ie- phone etiquette based on the location of the consumer). Notice the word "congress"? By the time they were done with the bill it did nothing more than protect rent-to-own companies and their right to harass consumers. The bill was sponsored by a congressman than stepped down after passing the bill and took a job with a national rent-to-own company. I think the bill was HR833 if memory serves. Unfortunately congress has ignored the problem since that time.

The lack of action by governments worldwide is a major contributing factor to the decline in customer service. If a customer service protocol is ever enacted all companies dealing in the states would be required to adhere to it. Very few countries have measures in place. Until something is done the "little guy" will continue to get ignored, insulted, blackmailed, and treated like a second class citizen... and our only options are to put up with it or try something else. Really stinks if you ask me.

Login to Me Too

changreaxn
New Community Member

you're paranoid... paypal is a reputable company linked with ebay... they exist to protect you from scammers, not to scam you.  their whole product is secure money transfers, their business would collapse if they were to steal your money and such

Login to Me Too

reallymad
Contributor
Contributor

Typical response of a Paypal employee.  Do you do anything to fix the inappropriate behavior of your employees...no, you come here and call your customers names.

This is why Paypal has a well-deserved reputation of having not only terrible customer service but actually ABUSIVE customer service.

That is what makes us wonder about the rest of the company.  When your customers are treated capriciously, their accounts frozen without reason, more "verification" required after a decade of no complaints, then we start realizing that Paypal has some serious problems.

And your response is so typical of the customer service Paypal guys who come here, never admit they are customer service, never help anyone, and just abuse the paypal customers.

Login to Me Too

gregwrightus
New Community Member

Because to a large corporation all of us who are mere pesants are thieves. We have no rights to decide what to do with our meger amounts of cash and that cash rightfully belongs to wall street.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.