Stop PayPal hold on your money

why_me
Contributor
Contributor

Has anybody sign a statement to hold your money for 21 days.  Not me!

I belief it is against the law!  

I all so belief we can do something about it. Email your congress and tell then what’s going on with PayPal.

I am going to email them about 10 or 25 times. It’s about time we stopped this!

PayPal is making money by holding it for 21 days.

So let’s stand up and stop it. Email every one you know and have them email congress to.

Login to Me Too
45 REPLIES 45

gameaddicts2010
Contributor
Contributor

@shumeka1975 wrote:

how much is ebay paying you to propagate your feelings?

The fact of the matter is when you decide to sell on ebay, you now become the owner of a business. In business, the only thing that is consistant is the exchange of money for product. You guys need to get over the "Paypal is holding my money" crap and appreciate the effort to make the eBay and Paypal communities scammer free. You may not have experienced being robbed by a seller, but it is a much worst feeling than having a payment being held. You are in business now, act like it.

Login to Me Too

iklayman

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM $938.00 THEY TOOK OUT $37.00 AND HOLDING 901.00 I SENT PROOF OF DELIVERY BUT THEY LIKE THE FLOAT

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Australia was a special case - Paypal was the ONLY method of payment allowed (No paymate, no moneybookers, no merchant banking,  etc).

That is not the case in North America - paypal is not violating any monopoly laws.

And the class-action lawsuits are by people that can't be bothered to read their agreements.

Lawyers will tell you that you have an arguable case - they won't tellk you that you have a winnable case - there's a big difference between the two.  Almost any case can be argued - few will be won.

Login to Me Too

nobody
Contributor
Contributor

@surplusdealdude wrote:

Australia was a special case - Paypal was the ONLY method of payment allowed (No paymate, no moneybookers, no merchant banking, etc). That is not the case in North America - paypal is not violating any monopoly laws.

And the class-action lawsuits are by people that can't be bothered to read their agreements.
Lawyers will tell you that you have an arguable case - they won't tellk you that you have a winnable case - there's a big difference between the two. Almost any case can be argued - few will be won.

You apparently wrote your post with the assumption that if PayPal has implemented a policy then it must be legal. An attorney in another thread pointed out the possibility that what PayPal is doing, which amounts to an escrow, is actually NOT legal. The only way we'll know this is if someone sues and the case goes to court. I think a lawsuit is a good idea. Once decided, if what PayPal is doing has been deemed legal THEN your advice holds, users should not use PayPal if they don't like the terms.

Your implied advice that someone should not attempt to pursue a lawsuit because they might not win is absurd.

I'm a long time buyer on eBay. I resent that as a buyer I didn't know about this policy shift. I had no idea that the payments to sellers were being held for random reasons. Many times I have delayed leaving feedback for several days after I receive and inspect an item just because I wasn't going to be online, I had NO idea that by delaying leaving feedback I was delaying the seller from receiving payment. In fact I had no idea that the funds were locked at all. As a conscientious person I resent that PayPal can make even more money off of my payment than the fee they charge the seller for the transaction. I am now offering to pay via money order for every item I buy. And as a soon-to-be seller, I'm investigating all other payment options.

Login to Me Too

shumeka1975

man you are sooo right on!

Login to Me Too

wolfdaddy205
Contributor
Contributor

,,well put nobody,

WHO's drawing interest on these monies HELD?

,,coaxed cases in my opinion.

Login to Me Too

shumeka1975

easy for you to say but what if your boss just arbitrarily held your paycheck from you but don't give you a concrete answer why and just tell you to look at your rulebook .what would you say and how would you feel? in fact further it goes to fact of the liberal rules of feedback because people can give you negative feedback just for spite.

Login to Me Too

anns904
Contributor
Contributor

I have to admit that I am new to this forum and was just looking for an answer to another problem, so please excuse me if I do this wrong.  That being said I think I must fall in the stupid category that the other person is talking about because I never read the agreement. When I first started using Paypal it was because I had purchased something and the seller would only take Paypal so I signed up to pay. Since then I have started selling on eBay and using Paypal. However, I don't understand the entire conversation as I have never had a problem with my funds being held. I have lots of customers that still have not left feedback and I have received their money. So again, please excuse me but I am a little puzzled why would they hold your funds when they have never held mine? I am sorry to butt into your conversation when I obviously have no idea as to what I am talking about (so please do not insult me, I admit I don't have a clue) but I would appreciate it if someone could explain as I hate to think that I have been the cause of anyone else not receiving their money because I was a little lazy on leaving the feedback.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@anns904 wrote:

Since then I have started selling on eBay and using Paypal. However, I don't understand the entire conversation as I have never had a problem with my funds being held.

The PayPal "All About Payment Holds" page provides lots of information about payment holds. Here's the section about when holds apply and also a link to the page...

When do payment holds apply?

Payment holds may be applied to some or all transactions in your account. Here are some common reasons for holding payments:

• You have limited history or selling activity with eBay and PayPal

• You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100 or received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, and do not have a record of good performance

• If you have low Detailed Seller Ratings or other indication of below standard performance on eBay

• You have a high rate of customer disputes, claims or chargebacks

• You're selling in a high risk category or industry such as, but not limited to, tickets, travel, gift certificates, computers, consumer electronics, or cell phones

• Your payment activity is inconsistent. For example, you have a spike in selling activity or you started selling in a new category without an established history in that category

• The account information you have provided is incomplete or inaccurate

If your payments are held, PayPal will provide you with notice specifying the terms. The terms may require that the amounts received into your account are held for a certain period of time. PayPal will re-evaluate your account periodically and contact you when we stop applying payment holds.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Mark eting/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@anns904 wrote:

I have to admit that I am new to this forum and was just looking for an answer to another problem, so please excuse me if I do this wrong.  That being said I think I must fall in the stupid category that the other person is talking about because I never read the agreement. When I first started using Paypal it was because I had purchased something and the seller would only take Paypal so I signed up to pay. Since then I have started selling on eBay and using Paypal. However, I don't understand the entire conversation as I have never had a problem with my funds being held. I have lots of customers that still have not left feedback and I have received their money. So again, please excuse me but I am a little puzzled why would they hold your funds when they have never held mine? I am sorry to butt into your conversation when I obviously have no idea as to what I am talking about (so please do not insult me, I admit I don't have a clue) but I would appreciate it if someone could explain as I hate to think that I have been the cause of anyone else not receiving their money because I was a little lazy on leaving the feedback.

Thanks

You may have been "grandfathered" in because you were previously a seller - eventually, though, all sellers will have the 21 day hold applied, most likely.

It's a deterrent for scammers - they won't stick around for 3 weeks, so they won't sell on ebay ( won't that be nice?)

As for the Paypal User agreement, you really should read it and ask questions until you know it.

I've had more than 2,000 transactions on ebay and never had a problem because I understand the agreement.

99% of the people having problems here have those problems because they have not read the agreement and don't know how to protect themselves as a result.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.