Stop PayPal hold on your money

why_me
Contributor
Contributor

Has anybody sign a statement to hold your money for 21 days.  Not me!

I belief it is against the law!  

I all so belief we can do something about it. Email your congress and tell then what’s going on with PayPal.

I am going to email them about 10 or 25 times. It’s about time we stopped this!

PayPal is making money by holding it for 21 days.

So let’s stand up and stop it. Email every one you know and have them email congress to.

Login to Me Too
45 REPLIES 45

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Oh, joy - another 1-post wonder.

I am telling it like it is.

If you don't like it, it's still the reality you have to deal with.

Nurse-maiding people that should not be here in the first place does them no favours.

Login to Me Too

LawrenceLevi
Contributor
Contributor

surplusdealdude,

Love the "constructive" help you give to people starting out who need guidence.....    You were on PayPal before they added the hold and don't have your funds held (rarely, if ever), why be shuch a XXXXX to someone asking for advise?

I have been using PayPal for 7 years or more and they have NEVER had me sign agreeing to their new terms, nor have they had you sign a new agreement.   They add what they want & even though it may not affect you and I, there are many it does affect... Telling them not to sell on eBay if they don't like the add-ons to the original user agreement isn't constructive, you're just trying to persuade new sellers not to sell (afraid of competition?)....   Try giving a little constructive advise on how to deal with the holds instead of trying to get people to quit selling.

Login to Me Too

Haha, whatever that self-important tool's name is:  please, please don't ever get over yourself.  Threads like this are what make the internet so great.

By the way, I didn't "open a business".  I sold my laptop in order to get money to pay my student loan.  Money I NEEDED 7 days ago when the auction ended, not 21 days later so PayPal can earn interest on it.  But hey, at least seeing everyone else get blindsided and bent over by a draconian and very possibly illegal policy makes you feel better for studying each new revision of that user agreement on those lonely nights!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@JustGotScr3wed wrote:

Haha, whatever that self-important tool's name is:  please, please don't ever get over yourself.  Threads like this are what make the internet so great.

By the way, I didn't "open a business".  I sold my laptop in order to get money to pay my student loan.  Money I NEEDED 7 days ago when the auction ended, not 21 days later so PayPal can earn interest on it.  But hey, at least seeing everyone else get blindsided and bent over by a draconian and very possibly illegal policy makes you feel better for studying each new revision of that user agreement on those lonely nights!

A perfect example of what I was saying to the poster above.

Money I NEEDED 7 days ago when the auction ended, not 21 days later so PayPal can earn interest on it.

Did you READ the User agreement so you'd know what you were getting into?

Did you READ the warning on the listing form that your money might be held?

Did you ASK any of the forums if computers were likely to face holds on the funds?

Did you send the item with tracking?

When it was delivered, did you phone paypal so you could expedite the release of the funds?

NO.

You didn't do one single thing to protect yourself or to fix the problem - you just came here to rant.

GROW UP.

This is the adult world - we play by adult rules.

RULE#1 - YOU are responsible for looking after yourself, first and foremost.  If you don't don't blame others when things fall apart on you.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@LawrenceLevi wrote:

@surplusdealdude,

Love the "constructive" help you give to people starting out who need guidence.....    You were on PayPal before they added the hold and don't have your funds held (rarely, if ever), why be shuch a XXXXX to someone asking for advise?

I have been using PayPal for 7 years or more and they have NEVER had me sign agreeing to their new terms, nor have they had you sign a new agreement.   They add what they want & even though it may not affect you and I, there are many it does affect... Telling them not to sell on eBay if they don't like the add-ons to the original user agreement isn't constructive, you're just trying to persuade new sellers not to sell (afraid of competition?)....   Try giving a little constructive advise on how to deal with the holds instead of trying to get people to quit selling.

You were on PayPal before they added the hold and don't have your funds held (rarely, if ever), why be shuch a XXXXX to someone asking for advise?

If you haven't noticed, none of these people have been asking for advise - they just want to rant.

Look, small business's raison d'etre is to be a problem-solver - that's what we do.

THESE people aren't trying to solve or adapt to their problem - they're simply demanding that Paypal create special rules for them.  It ain't going to happen, period.

ALL the people that have complained about the 21 day hold could quit Paypal and Paypal would replace them within 2 hours at their current rate of expansion.

But they want to keep beating that dead horse.

Some of them have gone even further and started breaking ebay and Paypal rules and holding their customer's orders up for 3 weeks until the money clears.

That ain't going to happen, either - the customer files a dispute, the money goes on permanent hold and gets refunded.  It's a stupid way to deal with the situation and it'll get a new seller booted out of ebay.

If they are not going to adapt to the rules, then they might as well leave now and save everybody a lot of hassle - ebay isn't going to tolerate new, small sellers  getting uppity.

That's the point I have been making.

I have been using PayPal for 7 years or more and they have NEVER had me sign agreeing to their new terms

Legally, they have.

When they introduced this change, as they have several times before, they sent everyone an email stating that, if you did not agree with the new terms, then you should close your account.  Continued use is agreement by action and will stand up in any Court.

You are, of course, expected to read the User Agreement, which about 3 people on this forum actually have, by the sounds of it.

. Telling them not to sell on eBay if they don't like the add-ons to the original user agreement isn't constructive

Yes it is - it lets them know in no uncertain terms that they are NOT making the rules here.  ebay is and Paypal are.

Too many people here delude themselves into believing that, if they throw a hissy fit, ebay and paypal will cave.

They won't.

Period.

Better that they find that out now.

you're just trying to persuade new sellers not to sell (afraid of competition?)

Smiley Very Happy

You're very funny.

I dominate my area of expertise and I've chased 2 large competitors off ebay already, one of which is a giant multi-national with more money than GOD.

I am not afraid of competition - I EAT competitors.

And, if you check my other 7,000+ posts, you will see that I help out all sorts of sellers who are honestly trying to find answers - I'm just hard on self-centred individuals that think they can threaten ebay/paypal into compliance by ranting or threatening to leave.

Try giving a little constructive advise on how to deal with the holds instead of trying to get people to quit selling.

Yeah, we tried that.  Doesn't work, they don't want to hear it.

You'll find I and the other advisors have constantly told people to phone Paypal to get the funds released if they're in a hurry.

The ranters don't think they should have to.

That's where I stop "helping" them.

And I'll bet you money and give you odds that NOT ONE of the ranters has ever bothered to read enough threads to find out how to deal with the holds - they just want to complain.

Login to Me Too

Jayhogg
New Community Member

Sounds like some one loves paypal a bit to much. You mean the user agreement that just randomly appeared this march without warning and regular users who use paypal everyday wake up to find their 1000s of dollars are on hold without reason. Or how about the people who have had their account locked and frozen for "high risk" and when they FINALLY do get in touch with paypal after being sent in a circle of BS they have no explination but your account is HIGH RISK and will not give you a reason why. Then you are forced to reconfirm everything: faxing papers, ID, credit cards. Ive even had paypal tell me after confirming all that to go down to my bank and get the bank to write them a letter with the banks letter head showing proof that I owned the debit card. I guess my social security and the letter they sent to my house and the Photo I.D. faxed over with the card wasnt enough to confirm. I was waiting for them to ask me for a Blood sample next. Guess where my money is? still sitting in a frozen account after 4 months while paypal collects interest on it. Ive sent countless emails to paypal with no response back and made several phone calls which pretty much comes down to: Yea we will give you an update tommorow and you never hear anything. The way paypal does business is fraud. Over the past 3 years paypal has received over 100s of 1000s suits and reported to the BBB for being a fraud. Paypal will flat out lie to you to get you out of their hair. HORRIBLE customer service. If FEEbay was connected to Paypal no one would use paypal trust me. So pretty much if you like selling stuff on ebay and never receive your money then def. use paypal.

Login to Me Too

shumeka1975

i don't know who this supersaledude is but it obvious this "person" is on ebay/paypals pocket.

Login to Me Too

offroadrick

Why would you choose to try to pick a fight with people who have a problem with this. You are an angry sour little man.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

An attorney in another thread pointed out the possibility that what PayPal is doing, which amounts to an escrow, is actually NOT legal. The only way we'll know this is if someone sues and the case goes to court. I think a lawsuit is a good idea. Once decided, if what PayPal is doing has been deemed legal THEN your advice holds, users should not use PayPal if they don't like the terms.

Your implied advice that someone should not attempt to pursue a lawsuit because they might not win is absurd.

That person is not an attorney.  I've had 10 years of legal experience myself ( I'm not an attorney, either) and he's talking nonsense.

Do you know what happens when you do not win a case?  You get to pay the other side's legal fees.  If the Judge feels that the case was without merit, ie, the legal reasoning was plain as day, then he awards legal fees on a "solicitor and client" basis, which means that you pay ALL the other side's fees.

Fees for a simple motion can be $10,000.  For a complicated motion, $30,000.  For a case, the fees could be in the MILLIONS.

And all of you on the case will be held "jointly and severally" responsible for the fees.

Let's say you have 1,000 people on the case.  Half of them automatically won't have any money, so you're down to 500 people to pay the fees.  Let's assume a $2 million cost for fees, costs, expert resources and such, which is likely low.

That means EACH of you will find themselves owing Paypal $4,000, if they divy it up equally, but they won't.  The law allows them to allege the full amount unpaid on Each of your credit ratings.  It's a Judgement, expressed as an Order for Costs.

Want to see what a Judgement against you for $2 MILLION does to your credit record?  CAN YOU SAY TOILET???

Your credit will be shot.  Period.

I've seen this happen to people - it ruined them.

But - don't listen to me, go ahead and wreck your credit ratings.  Have fun trying to renew your mortgages.

Login to Me Too

shumeka1975

how much is ebay paying you to propagate your feelings?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.