Seller Protection Plan

elderjames
Contributor
Contributor

I am interested in understanding how the Seller Protection Plan works.  It is free, but what does it really do?  For instance if a buyer chooses to reverse charges for no apparent reason...or the spouse claims that the card was not approved for such purchases.....in the past I actually was debited nearly $500 because an irate husband was mad because his wife bought a ton of educational books.  Paypal did this without contacting me.  I was blessed because the brother of the husband replaced almost $400 of my monies..........So, now I have a buyer who is buying tons of stuff......and has done the same with other ebay sellers......the question comes to the forefront....does Paypal protect me from her husband or significant other if they lose their mind when they see the amount this person has bought?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, but you have to follow the rules for the Seller protection plan PRECISELY;

1. Ship only to the address in the payment advice that Paypal sends.  Make sure that the payment advice says "eligible" or "partially eligible" for seller protection.

2. Ship with Delivery confirmation or SIGNATURE confirmation if the price+shipping is $250.00 or more.

3. Ship within 7 days.

While it's not required at this time, also a good idea to make sure the Confirmation number is put into the ebay or Paypal system so Paypal can see it.

Login to Me Too

AuctionLovers
Contributor
Contributor

However....If somone doesn't want your item for what ever reason, even if they buy tons of stuff, they can still get away with filing a dispute even if it's deshonest.  You'le get a refund if they send it back to you with confirmation, and you'le   get your refund, but Paypal can't make the buyer keep your stuff.  It's a risk you take when selling on ebay.

Login to Me Too

pirates
Contributor
Contributor

You mention signature confirmation for $250 or over transactions, but that is only a domestic/USA service. How can you be protected as a seller if you ship internationally with transactions of $250 or over? When I asked this of Ebay, they said I just had to use Paypal for my international transactions. Do you have an opinion on that?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

How can you be protected as a seller if you ship internationally with transactions of $250 or over?

If it's high-scam items like electronics, I wouldn't ship out of the country - too many problems.

If you want to use signature confirmation, the couriers do that - check the fine print to make sure they'll guarantee it overseas and insure the item.

If you have really low-scam items, you may want to forego using DC completely - it's a risk, but it may pay off.

Login to Me Too

pirates
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your super fast response! So basically, your covered for domestic items, if you ship with Signature Confirmation for $250 and over items with USPS, but because nothing actually exists for international along these same lines with USPS, you're out the money if the buyer is unscrupulous, if you choose to use USPS. Ugh!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, that's pretty much it.

The good news is that the vast majority of buyers overseas are honest and the scammers usually give themselves away - they're not too bright.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.